Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you start laughing remember where I am from....We just don't have those sorts of elevations on the east coast

Now onto my question........

I keep seeing these pictures of these mountain roads you guys were on.....I would love to do the Summit some year but man I think I would wuss out over the elevations. I love the run up Mount Washington (6288ft) but its paved most of the way up......But I tell you there are some places on the Autoroad that make my arse pucker worse than the sound of a snapping rubber glove.

How do you handle it? How long does it take to get used to the heights? Did anyone start out on a trail and then turn back?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
the only trail that would be considered scary is the first part of black bear. the rest of them do have some sheer dropoffs but mostly pretty wider roads. My wife is deathly afraid of heights but we did Imogene pass the highest of the options and she was so overwhelmed by the scenery and beauty that she forgot all about the fear. As for getting used to it, I was feeling slight headaches the first day but I chugged lots of water and felt fine after that. Highly reccomend this to anyone.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Its all good! If you dont nut up you wont get to enjoy the view. Make your reservations for next year, start saving now, and you wont regret it. Its awesome!

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
My first time on those trails was 20+ years ago in a stock Nissan. I did Imogene. I was a bit white knuckled the first time. But loved it.

Come on out to next years Summit, you'll be in the middle of a group. You can see that the person in front did okay as you will do too. Bring a CB radio and the person behind you can tell you how many feet from the edge you are. Or you can ride with me on the first day, then drive the next day.

Most of the trails won't kill you even if you did roll. :stickpoke: So don't do Black bear the first day out, or if at all, that's fine. Just so much to see up there. Really, you'll be okay.

·
Registered
820 Posts
We subscribed to the opinion of spending some time slowly acclimating yourself to the heights, and it seemed to work for us. We left for the summit early and spent 5 days doing trails slowly gaining in elevation before rolling in to Ouray. When we ran Stony Pass (12K +) I could feel a little shortness of breath, but it passed and the rest of the trails in Ouray were no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
the only trail that would be considered scary is the first part of black bear. the rest of them do have some sheer dropoffs but mostly pretty wider roads. My wife is deathly afraid of heights but we did Imogene pass the highest of the options and she was so overwhelmed by the scenery and beauty that she forgot all about the fear. As for getting used to it, I was feeling slight headaches the first day but I chugged lots of water and felt fine after that. Highly reccomend this to anyone.
I think that is the way it works, stop focusing on the fear and focus on the beauty around you.

If you spend your life in fear you will miss out on the most amazing and beautiful things.

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Dragon.......you are completely NUTZO!!!!!! I am deathly afraid of heights, and that pic made me get all queasy....YIKES!!
:lol:

That's FJ Ollie up there, but we were all clambering around on that slab. The joy is in the journey and if a person does not overcome a fear, they will regret it in time.

...or they will fall off and die, but that is what causes the thrill; knowing that that is a real possibility.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Yeah, I know....then I get the feeling I'm falling, even on hard, sturdy ground....then vertigo kicks in....barf everywhere.....sweat pouring off my head.....ugly. Very ugly. But then again, under the right circumstances, heights can be beautiful and breathtaking.

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
Yeah, I know....then I get the feeling I'm falling, even on hard, sturdy ground....then vertigo kicks in....barf everywhere.....sweat pouring off my head.....ugly. Very ugly. But then again, under the right circumstances, heights can be beautiful and breathtaking.
You need to talk to Mike (Tibaal89) He had a fear of hieghts.....He broke himself of it....

One cliff at a time!!!:lol:

·
Registered
191 Posts
And then Mike chugged lots of beer!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The only problem for me about the height was POWER LOSS!

I'm still shocked.. but i amazingly stalled on a climb in 1st gear, 4low on imogene pass... I have an automatic, and i didn't even roll back.
Fail. :D

Somehow, I didn't stall once...not even on hells revenge lol

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It is a challenge sometimes just to drive the roads out there, if you have problem with balance or vertigo. I had no problems with it at all when I was 20-30-40 with no replacement parts (physical), but at 50 and beyond with a SS ankle, a cardiac stent and associated meds... the last time was a challenge. I would suggest just going and doing whatever you feel comfortable with. It's a trip just to drive out there and tourist around, you don't even have to do the trails to enjoy the splendor of the place. Cheers.. Ron

Before you start laughing remember where I am from....We just don't have those sorts of elevations on the east coast

Now onto my question........

I keep seeing these pictures of these mountain roads you guys were on.....I would love to do the Summit some year but man I think I would wuss out over the elevations. I love the run up Mount Washington (6288ft) but its paved most of the way up......But I tell you there are some places on the Autoroad that make my arse pucker worse than the sound of a snapping rubber glove.

How do you handle it? How long does it take to get used to the heights? Did anyone start out on a trail and then turn back?

·
Registered
141 Posts
NBFJCruz -
I have a terrible fear of heights and do have some problems with vertigo and somehow I survived. However, my husband did most of the driving. I drove part of the way down Imogene and it didn't go well. By the time I started freaking out there was no way we could switch places. He was mad because I was staying too close to the rock wall on one side, but I was scared we would go over the edge if we moved any more to the other side. If there had been a divorce lawyer present :flame:... no, just kidding. After that, I was much more comfortable as a passenger and when I felt sick, I had to lean back and take deep breaths. Believe it or not, one thing that helped me was to hang my head out the window to see how much room we had between the FJ & the edge of the road. It was 'comforting' to see there was still a couple of feet there. :bigthumb:

I say to GO FOR IT next year!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
How did I learn to handle the height??

....chairlifts, plenty of chairlifts.....

None of the trails have really phased me - if I am inside the vehicle. Outside, I do have a slight coordination issue so I make plenty of allowance for my footwork (I would be pressed to sit on an edge) - but the views are incredible!!!

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
The sitting on the ledge photos that Dragon post from their expidition make me queezy just looking at them.

It's weird, I can walk a framed wall 2 stories up to instal roof trusses with out a problem, but the ledge photos make my stomach flip.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Go steady, not at crazy speeds. Keep your eye on the road when you are moving, and look straight out, not down. Definitely don't look down when driving.

The only time I had any 'feelings' of fear or vertigo (not the full things mind you) was if I was driving and tried to look down a straight drop, where the road was tight.

For the elevation issues, I got a prescription for Diomox (sp) or generic version of the same. I had an issue once before during a summer stay at Big Bear here in CA, and I didn't want to get caught up there behind the wheel with a problem. The stuff worked well, as I had no symptoms of elevation sickness.

BUT.... It makes all carbonated beverages (beer included) taste flat (and like crap), and caused some slight tingling type feelings in my hands and feet.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts