Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to get a backup camerra. I would like to use it all the time not just when in reverse. THe tail lights seem to be a good source of the power for the camera. Is this a good solution ? Is there any other easy alternatives?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Is the camera for an aftermarket radio w/ monitor, like kenwood, pioneer, etc. or is the camera a stand alone kit (camera w/ monitor) like they sell at walmart? How it's wired depends on which kind of camera system you get.

tail lights aren't a great option because they only have power when the lights are on, and could possibly cause your tailights to be dimmer because the camera is taking power away from them.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Sub has a constant 12v, and a nice rubber plug that routes to the outside (from what I can see).

You can always try my other method... tap into the trailer hitch power and hook up a small li-on 12V battery with the cam. Assuming you drive at least half the time in the dark, it could work! :D

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Do a search on "adding 12v outlets" and you'll see some ideas.. Ron

I am planning to get a backup camerra. I would like to use it all the time not just when in reverse. THe tail lights seem to be a good source of the power for the camera. Is this a good solution ? Is there any other easy alternatives?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking to by a vr3 or something simlar. I'd prefer the high end, console type, NAV/Radio kind of head unit system but obviously it costs substentially more then the portable ones. Plus, the installation will be more complcated.

Thanks for the tip on the dimmer tail lights. I did not think about this problem and this is something I would like to avoid. Looks like the ""adding 12v outlets" for the power source is my logical choice.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Just a warning...if you use the cheaper camera set-ups, by leaving it on too long you will burn up the camera...just FYI.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
You could use the power from your reverse/back-up light as a source for triggering a relay . . . . which in turn, would provide power from your fuse block (or a fused lead from your battery) to your camera.

(The triggering/activation side of a relay draws a very small amount of current, thus not putting a strain on or dimming your back-ups lights.)

An override switch could be incorporated into your wiring scheme to temporarily bypass the relay and draw power directly from the fuse block/battery, in the event you want power to your camera system when the FJ is not in REVERSE.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You could use the power from your reverse/back-up light as a source for triggering a relay . . . . which in turn, would provide power from your fuse block (or a fused lead from your battery) to your camera.

(The triggering/activation side of a relay draws a very small amount of current, thus not putting a strain on or dimming your back-ups lights.)

An override switch could be incorporated into your wiring scheme to temporarily bypass the relay and draw power directly from the fuse block/battery, in the event you want power to your camera system when the FJ is not in REVERSE.

Wow that is a great idea! Do you have any good sites for auto relays? I wouldnt mind doing this myself :p

·
Registered
947 Posts
relays available at radioshack, most autoparts stores.

The draw from a camera is so small you can just use the backup lights directly to power it. Stick a diode and hook up the same wire to a 12v switch. This will prevent you from turning on your backup lights with the switch.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I too recommend you put a switch in. I tried leaving mine on all the time just to see what it would be like and it drove me nuts. I now have it set up to only come on when in reverse but you could put a switch in to control it whenever you need or want it.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see there are at least 2 unused hardness in the back. One is attached to the driver side frame, this is the trailer harness I assume. The other one is inside the rear passenger side trim pannel. (I dont have the subwoofer),

One of the suggestion is to use the harness for camer power. Does this mean there must be at least one constant 12v power in the harness as opposed to the other power lines that are controlled by accessorise such as turn singal or radio volumn?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I had installed a cheap VR3 unit a while back. It didn't work most of the time. 900 Mhz. I just finished installing a new 2.4 Ghz unit from Sam's with 7" monitor. There is a thread out there on this unit. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/77057-7-color-backup-camera-sam-s-club-99-a.html

I installed it with both the camera and monitor wire thru a common switch that I put in next to the back up sonar switch. Yes I had to pull some interior panels on the drivers side to run a wire from the camera to the switch. While I had those panels out I ran extra wires. next week I will install flood lights mounted to the rear of the roof rack. I also ran the coax for my ham radio at this time.

I like this setup. Push one switch and I can see what's behind me. I will use the camera to monitor my pop up trailer while towing. And also at times like at the drive up ATM I can look for anyone creeping up from behind. just a better way to do it in my case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts