Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know Toyota and they have an endless, confusing array of option (packages) for their vehicles, I doubt the FJ will be much different. All I know is I want mine equipped with the following:

6 Speed (hopefully better than the Tacomas), 4x4 with locking rear diff. I don't want the traction control or center locking diff.

Black rims, roof rack, rock rails, and titanium metallic paint (someday maybe re-paint as tan).

I don't care about the tires either since they will be swapped with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's. IMO the best AT tire ever made (see reviews at tirerack.com).

I don't care much for the lights in the mirrors and think how much they will be to replace! I want fog lights on the rack as shown in some photos, but I can always add them later.

Believe it or not, since the rear seats will not fold flat as promised, I will take them out and create a custom sleep space for the rear (if there is room, this remains to be seen).

First mod will be a ARB front bumper with a winch!

D

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is what it will ultimately look like, including whatever aftermarket goodies don't come factory:

Probably Black, since red is not availalble

Full-time 4WD

Rear and center locking diff.

Traction control

Winches, front and back

Light bar (top) and fog lights (low)- I need a lot of nighttime illumination for my work.

AT tires, brand TBA

Premium audio w/multi CD, IPOD, XM, and subwoofer

GPS

I might actually be ok with 5-speed AT instead of 6-speed still, still thinking about it, though.

There's a bunch of other stuff I want, too, but I can't remember right now. I'll edit as I think of things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sun Fusion
4WD locking differential
6MT <---- No stick, No deal
Alloy Wheels <--- I live near the water. Steel does not last
Best audio I can get with CD change/aux input/sirius satellite
Roof Rack
Setup to carry bikes inside.
Towing Pkg

Any word on when they will start taking orders?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I gave them $500 deposit back in Feb. I should be placing the actual order in Dec after Toyota released exact pricing & options. ETA is still early 2006 and my salesman is guessing Feb.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DA40Pilot said:
Is it pretty much a certainty that the rear seats will not fold down flat?

Thanks, Tom
From what I've seen from the latest interior photos, but the reports/photos from SEMA should confirm this.

It looks like the seats fold just like my 2001 4Runner, the bottom goes towards the front seat and the seat back folds down. This does not make for a flat surface and limits sleeping space. The FJ is smaller than the 4Runner, but w/o the seats I may be able to make a decent sleep space.

D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I won't be able to afford one for a few years, but ideally I want a stripped interior, except AC. Its almost dangerous to drive a car w/out AC in our 90+ degree summer days. I want part time 4X4, locking rear diff, underbody protection, rock rails, heavy duty shocks, tow package, and a six speed tranny. I hate slushboxes.

Hopefully It can be equiped with the heavy duty drivetrain, chasis, and suspension options without having to buy unnecessary and expensive interior packages.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Take the front headrest out. The recline the front seat to touch the bottom of the rear seat. The rear seat reclines. Sleep in the rear seat with you leggs laying dowm on the front seat back. Two can sleep fairly comfotably.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Manual Trans, part time 4X4, rock rails, and TRD Locker (rear) from the stealership.

wish list (HINT HINT Toyota)

NO-Star safety BS (traction control, electronic brakes, abs, etc) or at the very least an "OFF" button for said features
Manual EVERYTHING (windows, door locks, mirrors, etc)
Manual locking front hubs (none of this auto-locking and/or ADD BS)
Tailgate style rear gate (a-la 1st gen 4runner)
1kz-te Turbo-Diesel powerplant OR (not nearly as cool) available V8 (tundra/4runner style)

Everything else would be aftermarket stuff that i can add later

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm with topless4runner on this one - make mine manual everything, 3" lift, 33" tires, dual wenches, lights on the brush guard, lights on the roof rack, snorkel. I'll throw my own yakima or thule from the receiver hitch for the mountain bikes and customize my own fishin' pole tube for the roof rack. Definitely manual everything on the interior and I, too, would like to be able to turn off all of the additional traction crap and auto-driving loser features, abs, extra airbags - real men don't need it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
  • Manual only. 6spd? Sure!
  • Twin stick 4x4. None of this push-button crap. I want to physically move a lever to engage 2hi, 4hi or 4lo - not rely on some relay and a light on the dashboard.
  • Manual hubs. Warns are fine with me.
  • Rear locker. Saves me having to do it later.
  • Ambulance doors :cool:

NO traction control or hill-climb assist crap, whatever, just pare it down and give me functionality. My 40 is strictly utilitarian; let's keep it that way.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well if mods are be included in this discusion, I want no carpet, i hate carpet, it just gets musty and smells. I would rhino line (or something similar) the interior. naturaly a lift will be added at some point, front bumper w/ winch mount. rear bumper with attachment for high-lift jack and jerry cans, and a roof mounted spare.

once it becomes old and the front suspension wears out, I would do a solid axle swap.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
MPD - Looking at the pics i have seen of the interior it looks like you may get the no carped request; most of them look like some kind of rubberized type flooring material. while not exactly rhino liner, it will suffice for me for a new-from-the-factory vehicle.

personally, if i had my way, you would be able to hose it out like we do with HMMWVs at work... unfortunately i am not in charge of toyota... :mad:

Fasterdammit- i have revised one of my requests; im with you on the ambulance doors, those are one of the coolest part about the 40s. or better yet just put the hinges there so the owner can configure it as the see fit. My wife used to drive a RAV4 (before it got totaled) and it had a swing open rear door and it was a PITA. what happenes when you need to get into the back and something is right behind you? or on an incline, as will be encountered in off-road driving? come on toyota, its a horrible idea. that and the minivan style gates on the newer 4runners. PITA.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts