Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a ton of dust on the inside and the engine compartment is covered in Poughkeepsie mud :clap:.

What is everyone's secret to clean the inside and engine!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
So I have a ton of dust on the inside and the engine compartment is covered in Poughkeepsie mud :clap:.

What is everyone's secret to clean the inside and engine!!!!
I drive mine around for a year and hope it cleans itself out before the next summit.

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
x2 on what Jared says.....or I just pay lots of $$$ to have it cleaned for me.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I just clean mine with a pressure washer or at the car wash.Be carefull where you spray and don't use too much pressure. A little wd-40 to get the water out of the idler pulleys is a good idea as well.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I just clean mine with a pressure washer or at the car wash.Be carefull where you spray and don't use too much pressure. A little wd-40 to get the water out of the idler pulleys is a good idea as well.:cheers:
This ^^^

Took me 30mins just to clean up the poughkeepsie mud from the engine compartment yesterday after I got home. That muck was EVERYWHERE!

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
most self service car washes (at least in colorado) have a selection that is a tire/engine cleaner. It sets it at a lower pressure, spray that in the pressure wash it carefully. Just don't apply direct pressure to it, wave the wand around so that it washes off without the pressure taking something off! When I was 18 I washed directly over the radiotor hose and took it right off!

·
Premium Member
11,919 Posts
I pay some one to wash/clean/detail for me, some people say it's crazy to pay for it. I look at it this way: I work hard for my money and will spend it as I wish(being a bachelor I can do this).

·
Registered
934 Posts
This ^^^

Took me 30mins just to clean up the poughkeepsie mud from the engine compartment yesterday after I got home. That muck was EVERYWHERE!
I have the same mud from the same time and I spent about 30 minutes with the pressure washer too. Opened it up this morning and noticed that I did not do as good a job as I thought. I will be hitting it with scrubbing bubbles and then the pressure washer again today. The inside I just wipe out with a bucket of soapy water and a rag takes me about 15 minutes to do the whole inside. The hardest part and the one that gets me the wettest is getting on the mechanics creeper in my swimming suit and hitting the underside of the FJ with the power washer. So far I have washed it three time since the summit as everytime I get done I find a spot that needs to be cleaned. I also had a kid spill about half of his fruit punch in the back that I had to clean up. Thank goodness for the no carpet on the inside.

·
Registered
240 Posts
if there isnt huge clumps of mud, simple green in a spray bottle works awesome. mist everything up, let it sit for a minute and spray off with a hose. looks like new.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
For the underbody, I have a easy solution I learned from some SoCal buddy. Just put a sprinkler under the truck in your driveway, turn it on, go drink a beer, come out and turn it off. Done.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
I haven't read every response yet. So, this may be a repeat (OK, there's no chance this is a repeat).

As for interior cleaning...

I bought a separate shop vac, microfiber and regular towels, buckets, and other rags specifically for cleaning out the inside of my Sandi.

First, I vacuum the floor with a certain attachment meant only for there.
I start down there in case any dust from that event flies up and covers the dash.

Then, I switch to the upholstery attachment and go over the seats.

Then, I go over the dash (and anything else up high on places where only hands and eyes touch) very, very lightly with the shop vac and gentle brush attachment to get out most of the loose dust from those areas.

After the vacuuming is done, I switch over to soapy water in buckets.
I usually have three buckets in the mix; one with hot, soapy water, one with hot non-soapy water, and one empty.

My process (for both the dash/upper places, and for the floor) is to use the hot soapy water first (and rinse and dump that dirty water into the empty bucket), then use the rinsed towel and go over it again with just hot water, then dry towel it. I use a separate set of towels for the dash/upper areas than for the floor (I just can't imagine the floor ones could ever get clean enough for me to be OK using them on the dash next time).

In order to ensure that I don't 'contaminate' the dash areas with crud from the floor (and to ensure that I can get it all done with just one set of water, and not have to go refill), I start on the dash/upper areas first.

First (using microfiber towels and the hot, soapy water) are all of the instrumentation panels, then the top surface of the dash, then the center console with shifters, storage areas, etc, then the front seat backs, then the door panels, then the wall panels near the back seats, then the upper portions of the rear cargo area, then the door jams all around (with separate towels, of course).

Then, I get out the regular towels (microfibers aren't necessary on the floor) and do the same process on the floor.

Lots of people joke about spraying out the interior of the FJC, but as some have found, it's not a good idea. I have read more than one story on this forum where people have done that, and lived to regret it. There are places in the floor under the seats where water can get in, and if it does, it can cause a stink that will make you trade vehicles with your spouse for weeks. This has never happened to me, simply because I've always been way too careful to just go spraying like that.

Using hot, soapy water like this though (even wringing a rag/towel out all over the floor and following up with a soaker to catch the excess water) is just fine. I've done it many times, and never had a problem.

When the soapy water gig has been done, I go over it all again with rinse water, and then dry it off with other, big towels.

Then, I go over all windows and mirrors (inside and out) with windex. I do not use a spray, because I do not want to get any of that stuff on either the interior out exterior surfaces. I just use the little disposable wipes from a plastic can type of thing for this.

By the time I'm done, it's not quite like brand new, but pretty [email protected] close.

Things to consider...

Treatments/Protectans, etc:
I don't use any kind of chemical treatments on any of the interior surfaces like leather protectants or anything like that. Mainly, I don't like the odor (I have a highly sensitive sense of smell) or the greasy feel when I touch things.

I have also heard, in years past, that those kinds of things can actually make the materials that they are used on worse over time. If you know of something with which that is proven to not be the case, please let me know.

Floor mats:
Since these things have two dirty sides, it's a good idea to remove them prior to this whole process, and clean and dry them separately before putting them back into the newly cleaned interior. Usually, I take Sandi to the car wash (manual, of course....can't imagine some machine or other person touching her like that) to get her all pretty on the outside just before doing my interior cleaning, and when I do, I clean the floor mats there, and store them in a large plastic bag on the way home and leave them sitting outside while I do the interior cleaning....in Colorado it's dry and they usually get fully dry by the time I'm finished.

Header fabric:
I have not yet looked into this. I usually just pick off stray fuzz balls, etc, but have never actually cleaned it completely in any way. Does anyone have ideas for cleaning up there?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Header fabric:
I have not yet looked into this. I usually just pick off stray fuzz balls, etc, but have never actually cleaned it completely in any way. Does anyone have ideas for cleaning up there?
About one ounce of your favorite laundry detergent in a large spray bottle (i use the large home depot one) mixed with warm tap water and a soft bristle brush. Spray lightly and then brush/scrub gently any spots. Take a dry white cotton towel and wipe in one direction to remove any excess dampness...Works well on the seats also!

And for those that are doing the engine clean, leave the engine running. It makes a little more mess, but it keeps the water out of undesirable places, unless you use a fire hose, then your screwed...

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
I just plain filtered house water and leaf blower to dry/blow excess water. I do not use any cleanning solutions/chemicals on all my vehicles engine.

Cleaner than the engine of a new/dealer displayed FJ.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
^ That is one clean, stuffed engine bay.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Inside was as bad as the outside, took it to the local carwash and 1 1/2 hrs later inside and out was clean, then it rained! Still need to do the engine compartment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
There is a few threads covering engine cleaning products, ways... I will be honest I am just to tired and lazy right now to set links for you...but
this is what it looks like after a weekend....

this is what it looks like after the powerwasher and 2 can of Black Magic 2 in one cleaner

I also use it on the chassis, with the power washer...I keep my FJ looking like its never been off road :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
There is a few threads covering engine cleaning products, ways... I will be honest I am just to tired and lazy right now to set links for you...but
this is what it looks like after a weekend....

this is what it looks like after the powerwasher and 2 can of Black Magic 2 in one cleaner

I also use it on the chassis, with the power washer...I keep my FJ looking like its never been off road :cheers:
X2, I use this after every run. great stuff

·
Registered
27 Posts
Between last year's summit and this one I tore the engine down, cleaned up everything in a hot-tank, repainted it and put it back together. If you don't care about your warranty, that's how you get it clean! It was pretty and shiny and mud free... before the summit, that is. Now it's caked with mud and dust and memories of good times.

I don't plan to do that again this year. I think I'll stick with the car wash wand (high-pressure versions have worked well for me). I've also had good luck with a can of engine degreaser (Gunk or similar) for anywhere where fluids or road grime have mingled with the dirt to leave hard residue. Just be sure to use cans like that at a real car wash -- they have special treatment rules on their runoff water so that it doesn't just enter the watershed. (Don't use them in your driveway, please!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts