Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hunter Bull Bar Install and Clearance?

I have this bar on order for my 2011 FJ: Truck Gear Direct

For those of you who have it, how does it install? I can't really tell from the pics or the posts that I have found by searching.

Does removing the factory skid plate for http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/126127-2011-oil-change.html require removing the bar first?

Also, as much as I like this bar, it looks like it hangs way below the front bumper seriously limiting angle of attack??? Although, looking at the attached pic, maybe it's only an inch or two?

-FJ Florida-

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Hunter Bull Bar Install and Clearance?

I am a$$-uming it goes something like this:

YouTube - ‪Westin Bull Bar Installation - etrailer.com‬‏

Or this:

http://www.ariesautomotive.com/applications/PDF/bull-bars/35-2003.pdf

Also, as much as I like this bar, it looks like it hangs way below the front bumper seriously limiting angle of attack??? Although, looking at the attached pic, maybe it's only an inch or two?

Feedback anyone on any topics regarding this bar before I install it???

-FJ Florida-

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
When i had a bar there were 2 brackets that get bolted to the end of the frame(front end obviously) under your bumper and they provide the mounting locations for each lower arms of the push bar. It may have something topside, not sure, mine was a police style bar so there was bumper area mounting brackets, not sure if that push bar will be the same.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had one and they are pretty easy to install. Hugo had it right. There are to brackets that bolt to the frame and the bar attaches to the brackets. Simple.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What kind of lights are those? By the way, I like the look! And I thought you were gonna paint that little bar black?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What kind of lights are those? By the way, I like the look! And I thought you were gonna paint that little bar black?
That's not my FJ. My black bar is on order. I didn't want the shiny stainless one. I found that pic from another member who posted several years ago.

1) Hope it does not hang too low.
2) Hope it does not have to be removed to drop the factory skid plate when changing the oil.

We will find out.

I saw PIAA 4" lights online last night. Would those work? Amazon.com: PIAA 5192 510 Series SMR Xtreme White Driving Lamp - Set of 2: Automotive

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's not my FJ. My black bar is on order. I didn't want the shiny stainless one. I found that pic from another member who posted several years ago.

1) Hope it does not hang too low.
2) Hope it does not have to be removed to drop the factory skid plate when changing the oil.

We will find out.

I saw PIAA 4" lights online last night. Would those work? Amazon.com: PIAA 5192 510 Series SMR Xtreme White Driving Lamp - Set of 2: Automotive

-FJ Florida-
It should work, I hope you know thats a driving light not a fog light if that's what you are looking for. I wanna make sure you dont buy something you might not want.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It should work, I hope you know thats a driving light not a fog light if that's what you are looking for. I wanna make sure you dont buy something you might not want.
I would want the lights to supplement my high beams at pitch black dark boat ramps when I have to help someone out. I turn the truck around to face the problem boat or truck to assist and turn on the high beams, but they aren't always enough. The more light the better. I've also been down some deer infested roads in the middle of the night where there are no lights and it is pitch black dark. There is no oncoming traffic for miles. I want to see as far as possible. I don't have the roof rack, and have no interest in getting one or mounting lights on the roof. I know the bar has limitations, but I like it, sooooooo ...

Due to the restrictions of the bar, which I assume TGD is shipping (I caused some confusion with my order - oops - I wish they would answer my email) the lights will need to be 4.5" or smaller. Because of all my mods recently, I have to stay on a budget, but I don't want something that is going to die in just a few years and have to be replaced.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would want the lights to supplement my high beams at pitch black dark boat ramps when I have to help someone out. I turn the truck around to face the problem boat or truck to assist and turn on the high beams, but they aren't always enough. The more light the better. I've also been down some deer infested roads in the middle of the night where there are no lights and it is pitch black dark. There is no oncoming traffic for miles. I want to see as far as possible. I don't have the roof rack, and have no interest in getting one or mounting lights on the roof. I know the bar has limitations, but I like it, sooooooo ...

Due to the restrictions of the bar, which I assume TGD is shipping (I caused some confusion with my order - oops - I wish they would answer my email) the lights will need to be 4.5" or smaller. Because of all my mods recently, I have to stay on a budget, but I don't want something that is going to die in just a few years and have to be replaced.

-FJ Florida-
Then go for it! I'm sure it'll look sick. A good black out with ur FJ and the bar I think would looks pretty awesome. Def need to photoshoot when it's all done. Modding is a sickness, the only cure is to do more mods, or when the wallet feels verrrrry light haha

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Then go for it! I'm sure it'll look sick. A good black out with ur FJ and the bar I think would looks pretty awesome. Def need to photoshoot when it's all done. Modding is a sickness, the only cure is to do more mods, or when the wallet feels verrrrry light haha
I already sold my soul to the devil. :satan:

I just posted in the welcome area a post that says I am checking myself into the hospital because I now want to collect FJ Cruisers. I just bought my 2011 and there is a sun fusion (not sure what year) for sale down the street, and I want it too. Then I will buy a voodoo blue, and maybe the cherry color after that.

I just looked under the FJ, and I see the mounting holes now. I spend more time under this FJ than I do in it, seriously, it's about equal time at least. Those mounting holes in the frame (actually in the bolted on front cross member behind the bumper) are not at all where I was looking. They are waaaaaaaaaaaay up front behind the front bumper, and I don't see any way the mounts will interfere with removing the skid plate for oil changes or cause me any angle of attack issues. Now, I need to get hold of Truck Gear Direct and clear up the confusion I caused by emailing them. My bad. I will call them in the AM.

Yes I want that silver trim blacked out, but it may have to wait. Time and money both are becoming constraints. Audio upgrades since January, window tint, suspension and step bars last week, 'roo bar this week, lights as soon as I make up my mind, and on and on and on. I want Line-X on the fender flares too. Sigh. $$$$$ and time.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't know man....those bull bars looks beefy, yet flimsy. What are they supposed to do with those weak mounting link, and so low to the ground.

D

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't know man....those bull bars looks beefy, yet flimsy. What are they supposed to do with those weak mounting link, and so low to the ground.

D
It's definitely going to change the angle of attack because of the front brackets, but I don't think I will lose any ground clearance. If I plan to go anywhere that requires that sort of angle of attack (highly unlikely), I'll take it off before the trip. All of the bars have similar mounting brackets that are going to change the angle of attack because they sit so far forward and hang down.

If the mounting brackets are flimsy, I will have them reinforced or have some better ones fabricated.

I think I will use grade 8 bolts to bolt it to the frame, if grade 8 does not come in the box. I notice Westin uses two mounting brackets per side, which might be a stronger mount, but the bolts matter too. I doubt any of them use grade 8 bolts, and sheared bolts probably would be the breaking point for all the bars I looked at.

If the bar itself is flimsy, I'll RMA the whole thing and get a more sturdy one. It weighs as much as other bars.

I won't have all the answers until it gets here. I will post more info then.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm planning to buy this bar too so let me know what you think of it too!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

D
Question to anyone:

I previously mentioned using four grade 8 bolts to attach this bar to the FJ. The mounting holes under the FJ go all the way through the cross member that runs behind the front bumber. That cross member is held on to the sides of the frame by 4 bolts per side.

If I use four 4-1/2" grade 8 bolts to mount the brackets for the bar to the crossmember (2 bolts per side), will those bolts sheer upon impact without damaging the cross member? I'm thinking in an impact with something like a deer that four low grade bolts will sheer off immediately.

Thoughts and ideas on this topic anyone?

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woo hoo for my 'roo! My 'roo bar is on a truck just a few hours away and scheduled for delivery tomorrow so I will have the holiday weekend to tinker with it. Woo hoo!

Stay tuned!

What can I add next? Checking bank account now ... EMPTY! :mecry:.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put the Hunter bull bar on my 2008 FJ, simple, quick. 20 mins. Last week a bought another FJ, 2012, in artic white. My bull bar arrived today, I'm p-off, after missing with it for about an hour I'm pretty sure they sent me the wrong bar or brackets. with the tabs facing inward they're too close together for the bar to line up, with the tabs facing outward they're too far apart for the bar to line up. I've emailed the company, but so far no responce. on my 08 the location didn't effect skid plate or oil drain. but it does block the tow hooks somewhat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: Hunter Bull Bar Install and Clearance?

try the ram bull bar - go to their site, this only took about 30 minutes to install

·
Premium Member
2014 Cement Gray FJ Cruiser
53 Posts
I am looking at the same bar... can you share your thoughts after you have had the bar installed... how was the installation... does it feel sturdy? Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the same bar in black (a year now) and really like it. It looks good on the FJ, it's built fairly well and at a great price. When you install make sure all your bolts are loose to fit, then adjust as you tighten bolts. I had to put extra washers on the drivers side to lower so it would be straight. Also as said in a previous post, bolts that come with the bar are crap so go with no.8s for strength. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts