Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you have ridden in both types of FJs. I realize that the 4X2 can be equipped with a 4X4 suspension, but I am talking straight 4X2 suspension vs. 4X4.

I know I am asking lots of questions but I figured you guys are the best source of real info. Thanks!!! :)

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
It depends on the suspension and the mods done aftermarket. If you ride in a TT SE with the Bilstien shocks it is going to feel different than a standard 4x4 suspension. That is going to feel different from a 4x2. BUT, if you take a stock 4x2 and mod it with the different suspensions that are out there, it is going to feel very different than a stock 4x2. Even the tires make a difference.

My suggestion is to go test drive one of each and then you can feel the difference in the ride.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on the suspension and the mods done aftermarket. If you ride in a TT SE with the Bilstien shocks it is going to feel different than a standard 4x4 suspension. That is going to feel different from a 4x2. BUT, if you take a stock 4x2 and mod it with the different suspensions that are out there, it is going to feel very different than a stock 4x2. Even the tires make a difference.

My suggestion is to go test drive one of each and then you can feel the difference in the ride.
Thanks! I was actually talking about stock vs. stock.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I would almost have to bet they are the same,. so if you do go out and test drive both, make sure the aire pressure in the tires is the same, that could throw you also..my 02

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If i remember right the 4x4 rides a little stiffer stock than the 4x2 stock did. I Only test drove the 4x4's until we found the 4x2 that we wanted, and then on that test ride wrigman drove! but i think it was a little softer in the front, of course that was all before we modded her!!!
But at NOPH said test drive both and make an informed choice by the comparison. Good luck!:wave::)

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
If i remember right the 4x4 rides a little stiffer stock than the 4x2 stock did. I Only test drove the 4x4's until we found the 4x2 that we wanted, and then on that test ride wrigman drove! but i think it was a little softer in the front, of course that was all before we modded her!!!
But at NOPH said test drive both and make an informed choice by the comparison. Good luck!:wave::)
Thanks Girl! Great advice!

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
The 4X2 suspension is a street suspension. It is softer than the 4X4 shocks and springs, and is actually about 2" lower (maybe a little less) than the 4X4. It has a definite "rake."

I have put the standard 4X4 springs and shocks on in front, and it made one heck of a difference - it is stiffer and doesn't have as much body roll on turns. I also bottomed out less, and did less "skid slapping" on trails.

Then, a member here gave me his Trail Teams Bilstein shocks and springs. I put them on my 4X2, and WHAT a HUGE difference that made! And the Bilstein shocks are an inch longer for a little more travel.

I hope this helps you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts