Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the south and don't see too much snow, but occassionally I do. I am considering a 4X2. Still get to cool looks of a 4X4 but gas mileage is better?!?! How does gas mileage compare to 4X4's?

Thanks

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
It depends on how you mod your rig. Mine is modded pretty good and I am getting somewhere between 16 and 17. But I am running 33" tires and on a 3" lift.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Stock Dunlops on mine with the 4X4 suspension....I still get 300+ miles per tankful. I just turned 300 miles on this tank of fuel and the low fuel light hasn't come on yet. And that's with regular (87 octane) fuel and synthetic blend oil. Next week I put in Royal Purple full synthetic oil.

I haven't had mine in the snow, so I can't help you there, sorry.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Man Dave, let me tell you. Today was the FIRST time my rig spit gas all down the side of the truck. In almost 2 years, never but today was the day. I was really trying to pack it in to check the mileage pretty close. Oh well, bring him home, wash the driver's rear quarter to get the junk off ........ Gas today here for 93 oct was $4.24.9/gallon!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I've done most of my snow travel in 4x2, the 4x4 is rarely needed unless it is deep snow and you lose momentum. Just have decent AT tires, not stock POS

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I paid 4.27 for 87 octane today. I get about 270 miles before light comes on. That leaves me about 50-55 miles left from what I have read. Light comes on early so who knows. Thats when i fill up. I have a 3" lift and stock Duellers and steelies.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
I live in a snow & ice area and have a 4x4 but do 99% of my winter driving in 2wd until I need to climb a steep slippery hill and then I only momentarily engage the 4wd only when absolutely needed. The TRAC system does wonders for the rear axle alone.

I use 4wd much more frequently off-road then in the winter but for different reasons.

DEWFPO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts