Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love the looks of this vehicle. My question is: How family friendly is it? I would occasionaly need to fit 2 booster seats a a car seat in the rear. Is this doable? I'd love to hear from owners with multiple car seats. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is doable and I have two in mine now. The only pain is opening the passenger door so that my son can open his to get out. At least I'm 6'3" and can reach the door handle without unbuckling. If it is not the primary mode of transport for your kids (we have a sequoia for that) then it will work, I mainly use mine to drive to and from work with only me as a passenger so it works for me.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My boy will be five in a few weeks. I've had the FJ for a year.

Good
1.my boy sits in the center in the back and on road trips I let him watch DVD's in the dash. See photo.
2.Seat and floors are so easy to keep clean

Bad
1. I've got a small garage and getting in and out of the back is a PIA.
2. Adults in the back, well not so good (don't forget to raise the head rests)

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Three boys myself. When I first got the truck I was in the same boat as you. Two boosters and one car seat. They fit fine. Only issue is getting the little guy in and out of the car seat. However with the rear doors swinging as wide as they do it was never an issue.

Only one booster now, real easy! :rocker:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd say it's doable but not ideal. I got the truck before my kid was born and the first 18 months sucked using the rear doors. You can't get the kid in/out very good with small parking spots and a rear facing seat. You have to fit the kid in through a little space and mine hit her head more than once on the upper latch for the side doors. Not a problem for me but for my wife it was a problem that she won't stop reminding about since I bought it.
I just turned the kid's seat around to forward facing and it's not a problem anymore but it's not as safe as rear facing as long as you can.
I have a second child coming soon and the wife would love to get a Sequoia and trade in the FJ but I'm holding out to either get a 10 year old Landcruiser instead or just keep this thing. I have to have the tough 4x4 options of this or something similar. The Sequoia isn't an offroad truck to me it's more like a band-aid if you get snow on your driveway.

I came back and wanted to add that I watched a crash test program on TV that happened to feature an FJ in one of the side tests. My wife saw that crash and calmed down a little about the trucks "other" problems after seeing the side impact testing. I found the test on youtube here,
As a mechanic that sees many vehicles after major accidents I was VERY impressed and I don't worry about putting my kid in the FJ at all. It will protect it's occupants!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I wouldn’t do it if it were your primary car. Mine works great w/ 3 kids, but we rarely use it as the “family” car.

Edit: sorry, I missed the “occasional” part of your post. It would be fine, and your kids will be begging to take “daddy’s car”. (assuming you’re the dad)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have had my 07 since late 06 and shortly after getting it we had the first of two boys. The rear facing car seats took some getting used to but in no time my boys were in front facing seats (Britax). I have two Britax seats in there now and with my oldest (5 years) and youngest (2.5 years) it is a little cramped. I am 5'11'' and keep the 2.5 year old behind me and the oldest behind the passenger seat. The leg room for me in the drivers seat is getting tight when the kids are with me which is on a daily basis. The FJ is the school bus basically most of the time. I will say that I have had passengers (small adults mind you) sit between the two car seats, but it is not ideal for any length of time. I think I will soon be getting the 5 year old in a booster and reconfiguring the seating arrangements which should free up some leg room.
I would suggest taking an FJ for a ride and loading up the gang. I must warn you though once you drive it you will certainly want it!!
I hope this helps your decision and happy shopping!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have had my 07 since late 06 and shortly after getting it we had the first of two boys. The rear facing car seats took some getting used to but in no time my boys were in front facing seats (Britax). I have two Britax seats in there now and with my oldest (5 years) and youngest (2.5 years) it is a little cramped. I am 5'11'' and keep the 2.5 year old behind me and the oldest behind the passenger seat. The leg room for me in the drivers seat is getting tight when the kids are with me which is on a daily basis. The FJ is the school bus basically most of the time. I will say that I have had passengers (small adults mind you) sit between the two car seats, but it is not ideal for any length of time. I think I will soon be getting the 5 year old in a booster and reconfiguring the seating arrangements which should free up some leg room.
I would suggest taking an FJ for a ride and loading up the gang. I must warn you though once you drive it you will certainly want it!!
I hope this helps your decision and happy shopping!!
You brought up a point I forgot to. When the child seats are rear facing forget about moving the seat back. I'm over 6' tall and it sucks. I'm still not trading it in though! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I absolutely love the looks of this vehicle. My question is: How family friendly is it? I would occasionaly need to fit 2 booster seats a a car seat in the rear. Is this doable? I'd love to hear from owners with multiple car seats. Thanks
Here is my take. I own two. Wife drives one, I drive the other. We have 2 girls (ages 12 and 16). Very rarely does anyone gripe. We are used to the suicide doors - occasionally it is an issue in a tight parking lot. Most often, I park where it is convenient to get out.

The FJ is the most utilitarian vehicle made today for the money....Period. I bought a dog barrier from Springtail Solutions - it is fantastic. Two German Shepherds ride in the back with the window open. An aftermarket luggage rack (bajarack) will give you plenty of room for luggage). Also, when we looked at the new 4 runner, it had a bit more leg room in 2nd row of seats, but the rear storage was about the same as the FJ due to the seats in the third row that fold down and the spare underneath. The 4 runner was at least 10K more. If you look at the Sequoia, you are talking a lot more money (50K+). The Land Cruiser is like 80k. You can't get more SUV for your money....than the FJ.

The funny thing is that my wife complained about our first FJ (2008) all of the time. Then, she drove the 2010 Trail Teams at the dealer last year and said, "I have to have this."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts