Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a bunch of tube video's and it appears that people were pressing the seal all the way into the housing until it bottoms out against the inside edge. I just finished pulling a failed seal out while waiting on the brown truck to deliver the replacement and the OE seal that was in there was installed flush with the outer most edge.

Side note - yes the axle can be removed without disassembling the parking brake as one tube'r made a video of, I did have to remove the sliders to allow the parking brake cable enough movement.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just as an update, I set it where the previous one in, which is just minimally seated and not all the way into the axle housing.

On a side note, I've used a lot of axle seals for different things in the past, but these new Timken's are very different. I hope they perform better than the National seal that I'm about to have to pull out of the rear Dana 70 on my one ton swapped Ramcharger that failed after 200 miles. Having the entire seal exterior being formed in silicone is neat I guess

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,620 Posts
Mine was flush when we replaced a rear OE seal in OE axle - per a very knowledgeable Toyota guy....hope that helps.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

1 - 3 of 3 Posts