Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
It's my first post! Got my FJ in March. I have an 07 manual and was off road for the first time last weekend. Went surf fishing off the NJ shore. I found I definitely needed LL which worked like a charm. Almost like a tractor. I did however go over 5 miles an hour as I now see the manual states not to do. I was probably hanging more around 20. I detected no stress what so ever and rpms never made it over 2000. Is this okay?
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Welcome Sally,

LL with the 6MT means your locking the center differential in the transfer case and your in Low Range. I don't think there's any mph limitation to driving in LL. You have 6 speeds and depending on the situation, you may want to be in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear while in LL. I have the 5AT and have been in 3rd and 4th gear occasionally with the transfer case in Low range when I needed to speed up over a certain short section of trail but would be crawling again shortly and didn't want to stop and shift the transfer case twice.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
I have the MT, I have been in 6th haulin down an arroya. Just don't red line it and you will be fine. Actually it has a rev limiter, so you don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
It should be fine as long as you don't stress it too much in one gear, shift it to a higher gear to keep the rpm down away from the red line.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your answers and the welcome! What a nice group. I kind of figured I was okay, but I love this vehicle so much I'm being a bit over protective and needed a little reinforcement. I should know better this being my fourth Toyota truck. Thanks again and enjoy your weekend.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Welcome aboard Sally.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
The 5 mph refers to shifting the lever. You should stop or be below 5 mph to shift into LL. Once on LL the limit is the red line. Also you should be below 5 mph on LL ON DRY PAVEMENT, but that is a different story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts