Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2012 4WD with 57k miles on it. I took it to Pep Boys to get the bald stock tires replaced in September. The new tires were a Cooper all-terrain set. The minute I got up to 60+ mph after replacing the stock tires, my steering wheel shook like crazy, as many of you have experienced.

After five trips back to Pep Boys and replacing the Cooper tires with BF Goodrich tires, several balancings and an alignment, they had exhausted all options.

The Problem and the Solution:
The original stock tires had yellow markings on them that HAD to match up with the valve stems. The Cooper Tires and the BF Goodrich tires had NO yellow markings, so they were not matched to the stem valves, and Pep Boys did not know to look for it. I took it to Firestone to have it road force balanced, and Firestone's machinery was able to locate where the yellow markings should have been on the BF Goodrich tires and lined it up with the stem valves. They also road force balanced it.

So far, that has completely solved the issue. There is no steering wheel shaking whatsoever at any speed.

Afterthought:
Pep Boys did absolutely everything that they could to accommodate me. They gave me a new set of tires, serviced it several times and offered to pay my Firestone bill. I only have the highest praises to sing. This was a FJ fluke that was hard to pinpoint. Thank you Pep Boys and thank you Firestone!

Lining valve stems to yellow markings and getting a road force balance were the solution to my problem. I sure hope this helps you if you're experiencing the same issue. Good luck!

- JA

·
Registered
567 Posts
thanks for shearing. however, would you share more info on tire size, wheel model. I run coopers stt max 255 85 16 on trd wheels and have no issues. again thanks for shearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts