Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may come off as insensitive and that is not my intent. I am totally sympathetic to Japan's situation. I just wanted to know if we can expect further delays. Also, would the materials they use end up being damaged or less reliable due to flooding?

Again, I am very aware of what is happening. I just had a FJ question and this is where I go for my FJ answers.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the news - not sure where the production facility is or if infrastructure anywhere from there to the ports are affected, but for anyone who ordered the real-deal TT I hope you are patient!

·
Registered
236 Posts
"The 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck northern Japan, causing deaths and damage to the northeast and panic as far south as Tokyo, with an ensuing tsunami devastating coastal areas.

The Japanese auto industry was among the worst hit, with Nissan Motor Co. (7201.TO), Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) and Honda Motor Co. (HMC) among those shutting plants."

2nd UPDATE: Foreign Businesses Hit By Japan Earthquake - WSJ.com

There are further reports of employee deaths at auto plants. I can't imagine after they restart operations that QA/QC would allow identified substandard autos to market.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I know this may come off as insensitive and that is not my intent. I am totally sympathetic to Japan's situation. I just wanted to know if we can expect further delays. Also, would the materials they use end up being damaged or less reliable due to flooding?

Again, I am very aware of what is happening. I just had a FJ question and this is where I go for my FJ answers.
the plants that were affected make the yaris and the scions.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I don't think that Toyoda himself could answer you right now...

It's night in Japan and their thoughts are (probably) tuned to survival and trying to learn if their families are ok...

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
The FJ will survive lets just hope the people there do too. That Nuclear plant could be a disaster to everything in the area.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Let's keep our eye on the important things... And hoping the people there are ok. Lots of friends to worry about there.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
I don't think that Toyoda himself could answer you right now...

It's night in Japan and their thoughts are (probably) tuned to survival and trying to learn if their families are ok...

:cheers:
Amen to that... and still Honda, Nissan, and Toyota are working 'round the clock to assess their damages and report on it. My heart goes out to all those affected. Just found a coworker's sister-in-law (living on the west coast) has family in that region who live at higher elevations, but they haven't been able to get through to find out if everyone's okay.

As for Toyota...

Jalopnik: Obsessed With The Cult Of Cars

Please be informed that TMC (Toyota Motor Company) comment on the earthquakes in Japan on March 11 (as of 17:00 JST) is as below: TMC has established a company-wide emergency task force to take initial measures (under leadership of Managing Officer Miyazaki). Current situation is the following:

1. Employees
-Confirmed there have been no injuries at the Tokyo head office, as well as the Higashifuji, Tochigi office, Yamanashi office, and Toyota Motor Tohoku facilities.
-Presently gathering information on Central Motor Corporation and Kanto Auto Works.

2. Production
-All TMC plants have restarted production.
-The employees at manufacturing companies in the Tohoku region, including Toyota Motor Tohoku, and Central Motor Corporation are evacuating to safe areas. The situation is the same in the facilities at Hokkaido as well.
-Currently, we are checking the situation of suppliers.
-Currently nothing has been decided about production plans.

3. Dealers
-There are reports that some dealers have been damaged, however we are still investigating the details.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Regardless of whether it is insensitive, I am here reading it and assume others are as well, because they are interested in the effects. I don't see anything wrong with this thread. I am sure everyone posting has a reasonable sense of perspective when it comes to prioritizing these peoples health and well-being over the production of cars, but wanting more news on both should not be mutually exclusive.

Edit: The first news I heard of the tsunami was a text from my brother in law who knows I am waiting on an FJ from japan, wondering if it would delay shipment, so I don't think its out of the ordinary to wonder.

zero

·
Registered
178 Posts
With gas prices the way they are, FJ's are not flying off the lots. Dealer doesn't want them on trade in because of the FJ MPG. Therefore they would offer less money for a FJ trade in. With gas prices the way they are, resale of FJ is going down. If more FJ in Japan was scheduled to arrive in the US, it would add to the supply of FJ. With that said, hope all the FJ in Japan were destroyed.

My heart goes out to the people of Japan. Remember, that could very well happen over here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Easy, boys. Everyone responds differently to events like this. And all sorts of thoughts cross our minds. This stuff is stressful, and it's easy to react sharply.

Let's make nice and give our best wishes to those who are suffering--or worse--over there.

·
Registered
125 Posts

As bad as it sounds, somewhere in my brain I had the same thought. I also hope that if it is needed, 'my' TTSE (if built) is being used for relief work.

This is Japan's 'Katrina'. As a country, they will be focused inwards for awhile. That doesn't necessarily mean that everything else will shut down (just like the US after 9/11 and Katrina).

The TTSE will get here when it gets here. I know a couple of forum members who are lamenting letting their NSSE go. I still see having done that as a GOOD thing for me (the added cost of doing it 'right' was more than I had budgeted). If for some reason the 2011 TTSE doesn't happen, oh well. As long as my Tacoma holds up, I'm not going to sweat a new vehicle until at least Memorial Day weekend. At that point, I'll re-assess.

Considering the run of bad luck I've had in getting the TTSE (turning into the NSSE, difficulties with the dealer, etc) and with Rigid Industries (the major accessory I bought for the FJ), some part of my brain wondered if it was my bad karma that caused the quake/tsunami.... (already checked, the personalized plate BDKRMA is taken).

I'm sure some may go into flame mode over this post :flame: I could easily be on a plane for relief efforts in the next 24-72 hours due to my skills and position. People over property....

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it wasn't him, it would of been some one else that would of posted a similar thread. It doesn't make him insensitive, it is just how the world is. Consumers. There is no need to try and prove who is right because despite this thread, the tragedy still happened and there is nothing that can change that. This is an absolute nightmare and couldn't imagine and hope I never experience something so devastating. Arguing and pissing each other off won't help anything. Maybe the FJ forums can create a donation section of 5,10,25, etc to donate to the Japanese victims.

The trail team isn't a priority for Japan and really, it shouldn't be for you even though many have been waiting for 6+ months. Some people on these forums may have friends or family in Japan and even not, still are sensitive about this disaster. I know I'm a little numb from it. Just try to understand and be a little caring about others.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I see nothing wrong also..

He asked a completely valid question on an FJ forum.

Last time I checked will still live in a free country with the first amendment (for at least a little while longer) :flame:

That being said I wouldn't hold your breath on that TT.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I see nothing wrong also..

He asked a completely valid question on an FJ forum.

Last time I checked will still live in a free country with the first amendment (for at least a little while longer) :flame:

That being said I wouldn't hold your breath on that TT.
I give ya a +1 on all counts.

As sad and horrific the events are, and worse, still unfolding, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the question nor was it any sense asked in bad taste IMHO.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a feeling this horrific event will actually strengthen Japan in a long run.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
They're a hardy, resilient people unlike any you've known, much like the Mongols are to the steppes.

This will barely faze them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
With gas prices the way they are, FJ's are not flying off the lots. Dealer doesn't want them on trade in because of the FJ MPG. Therefore they would offer less money for a FJ trade in. With gas prices the way they are, resale of FJ is going down. If more FJ in Japan was scheduled to arrive in the US, it would add to the supply of FJ. With that said, hope all the FJ in Japan were destroyed.
This is completely illogical. FJ gets like 2mpg less than Highlanders and they are not going out or losing value on trade in. They are flying out of the showrooms.

FJ has always been a niche vehicle and its likely that people are just not as interested as they used to be.

I am only going to get worried about my upcoming purchase if gas prices hit $5/gal on regular unleaded. To me the difference between $3.60 and $3.80 is pretty unremarkable. Its the price of a cup of coffee or a soda upon fill up.

zero

1 - 20 of 58 Posts