Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2012 with around 90,000 miles. even today, i still have friends when they get in mention that my fj still has that "new car smell." i do take great care to at least keep the inside as immaculate as i can. always vacuuming, dusting regularly, rarely ever eating inside, definitely no smoking allowed, not leaving items such as dirty clothes, etc. in the vehicle. anybody else out there in the "trying to prolong that new car smell" club? if i ever would sell my fj, i guess i could add that to the description: "still has that new car smell!" lol!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ha. My FJ has been rode hard and put away wet. No new car smell for me. I am on suspension #3. Most fun vehicle ever!

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
New car smell
Until every Sept.
The FJ is my wife’s and she normally shoots an antelope in Sept. and hauls it in the back on the rubber mat.
Then is smells like bad goat.
She cleans it all up and then back to new car smell.

Goat smell is worse than natural methane ie; Fart

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is super clean but has smelled like a wet towel sine I bought it, no clue how to fix it but it doesn't bother me that bad because it doesn't smell like human stink

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,672 Posts
I got one of these. When the reek of stanky mud, blood, guts and fecal particulates gets excessive I just switch this baby on for about 30 minutes and then change my cabin air filter. I gave up on 'new car smell' after I got a little too far in the surf View attachment 1121790 at 15k miles...
I own one myself, run it for 60 minutes then start the FJ with the vent on to switch the air out and run for another 60.

·
Registered
404 Posts
There's so little porous material in an FJ to absorb foul odors, they're pretty easy to keep smelling nice.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,915 Posts
To answer your question - The same as always,,.and its special 😇 Noticed it the first time I hopped in, and it’s still there. I can’t even describe it, just how my wonderful FJ smells. And the scent takes me back to many amazing places and adventures with one whiff, so I have no desire to use chemical cleaners or fragrances...love it!

·
Registered
177 Posts

The old "Dryer sheet in the cabin air filter trick" works, too...

D 🤠 🐮

·
Registered
530 Posts
I sometimes eat in there and my kids started saying mine smelled like catsup. I usually ignore the service tech filter recommendations, but this time I replaced the cabin filter myself with a "Fram Fresh Breeze" cabin air filter with baking soda (CF9846A) for $13.97 from WalMart. It works great, is a little cheaper than the Toyota OEM filter, and it is so easy to DIY. You just pop off the glove box and change it out. Your stealership will charge a product premium plus $20 labor to do it with an oil change! Add a premium markup for synthetic oil plus changing the engine filter and the 10,000 mile service can creep up over $80! Even if you don't change your own oil, change your own cabin/engine filters, bring your own oil and filter to your service appointment and save your cash for gas and mods.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is super clean but has smelled like a wet towel sine I bought it, no clue how to fix it but it doesn't bother me that bad because it doesn't smell like human stink
mine had that when i bought it, turned out the cabin air filter had a mess of leaves and pine needles on it and was damp. took it out and left it out for awhile. also sprayed like 2 cans of lysol through the vents near the windshield on the outside with the a/c and or just vents running. finnally got rid of it by spraying those vents with a 1/4 can of lysol and leaving the doors open with a/c running for about 20 min and it now smells like new car smell again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts