When did your stock clutch go out?

• Forced induction FJ (supercharger?) over 50k miles & slipped

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few threads of people killing the clutches, or them "wearing out", but that can happen with any manual depending not only on driver, but conditions, mods, etc. So, I thought it would be interesting to see how long people have gone on the stock clutch in various trims barring accidental burning, the dreaded TOB issue, etc.

Please post your mods, at what milage you replaced it, and the reason replaced... IE slipping, TOB squeak, just in case due to mods...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Mine doesn't fit any choices you have. Mine is an 07 with OME lift, ARB bumper, MAF sliders and skids.. Put on 285's at 104K. I'm at 113K now and still seems fine. All of my Toyota clutches in the past have gone over 120K.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the end of a long day and my choices on the poll do suck. One thing I can say is Toyota clutches and brake pads do seem to last unusually long. A good thing of course. I'm having no slippage issues or the like at about 67k but do have the dredded "bird" tweeting away (TOB squeak).

·
Registered
145 Posts
I didn't vote ...............'cause my 2010 6MT doesn't have enough miles on it yet to fit your poll criteria. :wave:

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I have an automatic but I had a 2000 tacoma TRD 4x4 work truck 389,000 miles first clutch. Toyota makes long lasting parts.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I have 75,000 on mine running 33's. Lots of mods make my FJ kinda portly. Have had zero problems with my clutch.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
Coming up on 60,000 mi looking to get another 60,000 out of it.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Just a hair under 100K, no engine mods, clutch working great.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
I had the tweet, it has been gone for a while now.

·
Registered
729 Posts
no place to vote for me, lots of mods. First clutch smoked it self at 25xxx miles,and 2 tob at that point ,2more tob by 50xxx miles then went to pdm sleeve kit and aftermarket clutch . Seem's good for now.This is not my first vehicle with a stick either lost count of all my toys over the last 15 years almost all stick so this isnt my first rodeo ...have driven high horsepower hondas to *****in broncos.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
It came and went without being addressed? Mine sounds like a freakin' A/C clutch going out unless the clutch is pressed in.
Yup, went from sounding like a flock of canaries to nothing but silence.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Interesting about the "tweet" going away and no failure there after. I'm sure everyones aware of the dreaded "clutch" threads. I wonder how many people have swapped in new units that didn't need to. HOWEVER, the sound IS some component wearing. Having not dropped the tranny on mine, I have a hard time visualizing it. I'm to the understanding that the TOB is in constant contact with the pressure plate. This is not good. Furthermore, from the pics of TOYOTA's "fix" for the issue, it appears that the new units may not be in constant contact. I find all of this very perplexing. Up to this point, I was under the belief that the TOB was wearing out causing the "tweet". In wearing out, comes the possibility of TOB failure whereas it relates to damage to the quill.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I am rolling 130,000 miles tomorrow on my stock clutch. I had the T.O.B. "chirp" around the 65,000 mile mark. It went away. It is absolutely solid!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
49,000 miles... and my clutch is fine for on road use. Take it off road to climb a steep hill or something and it will not go.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts