Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surprised to read a that someone is replacing the stock tires after 55K.
My Dunlop only have 22K and I am looking for tires already (No off roading). They are not bold, but I doubt they would make it to 30K. By the way, I am NOT talking about those who changed them at the dealer.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It could be the lead in your foot:rofl:

Mine lasted about 25 miles before they had to go.....:jester:
Mine lasted almost twice as long as yours... I got 40 miles out of mine:cheers:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I'll be lucky to make it to 30k on this set. That would actually be 25k on this set, since Toyota replaced my original set at about 5k (recall). I have the Bridgestones and not the Dunlops.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Same here with my stock Dunlops. They were gone in 20,000! Funny thing is I think my FJ was misaligned from the factory. I put an ARB bumper on then added OME 883's to level it all out. Once I had driven about 500-1000 miles I went to my local Toyota and had them realign the front since everyone says to have your rig realigned once your springs settle. Coming home I notice the FJ is now pulling to the right quite a bit. Since I was going to get new tires put on later that week I waited to see if the new shoes would also pull. Well new tires track straight as an arrow. This has me thinking that the misalignment wore the dunlops premature and also contributed to uneven wear that when properly aligned caused my FJ to pull right. ??????

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
25,000 mi on the stock Dunlops, they are still looking good. I guess I could squeeze at least another 10,000 out of them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
27,000 on the stock Dunlops and they probably have another 8-10k of life left on them. I am rotating the spare into my tire rotation as well, because I am definitely getting different tires next time and I didn't want to have a brand new Dunlop that is worthless.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
27,000 on the stock Dunlops and they probably have another 8-10k of life left on them. I am rotating the spare into my tire rotation as well, because I am definitely getting different tires next time and I didn't want to have a brand new Dunlop that is worthless.
You're right. I made the mistake of not rotating the spare with the others and now I'm stuck with it. On the good side, I am getting rid of those Dunlops sooner.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Same here with my stock Dunlops. They were gone in 20,000! Funny thing is I think my FJ was misaligned from the factory. I put an ARB bumper on then added OME 883's to level it all out. Once I had driven about 500-1000 miles I went to my local Toyota and had them realign the front since everyone says to have your rig realigned once your springs settle. Coming home I notice the FJ is now pulling to the right quite a bit. Since I was going to get new tires put on later that week I waited to see if the new shoes would also pull. Well new tires track straight as an arrow. This has me thinking that the misalignment wore the dunlops premature and also contributed to uneven wear that when properly aligned caused my FJ to pull right. ??????
I think my truck was misaligned too. I had the Dunlops and they wore on the insides of the front tires. Both fronts were almost exactly the same. I still got 53K out of the tires and probably could have gotten another 7 or 8K except for the uneven wear. I didn't even notice the problem until I parked with the tires turned hard to the right. Then I was able to see the worn tread.

I had the truck re-aligned and bought GY Wrangler Silent Armors. It feels like it is running on a track compared to the old setup; way more wet road traction with stable handling. The downside is a little bit of extra noise and slightly rougher ride.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow... I must drive like a granny cause I had my originals replaced at 12k due to factory recall. I am now up to 52K... so 40k on this set so far and they look great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts