Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

How long until the FJ is yours??

• More than 6 years! :(

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 4-5 years

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • 3-4 years

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • SO CLOSE I ALREADY HAVE A LONG WISHLIST ON MANY WEBSITES!

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Lienholder? What's that?

Votes: 33 42.9%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, just wondering how long until the FJ is yours and you can feel safer doing whatever the heck you want to it. (I've heard more than a handful of guys say they're waiting until it's paid off before they get serious on modifications)

For me, it's about another 6.5 years. I've just accepted the fact that I pay a good amount of money to roll in this much style :rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Mine will be paid off in May. :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Mine was paid off the day I drove it off the lot. I put a payment in the bank every month and have done for 25 years. That way when I need a new car I have the money to purchase it outright. The only thing that I owe on is my house and I hope to have that paid off in 5 years. No Dept makes you sleep so well at night.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine was paid off the day I drove it off the lot. I put a payment in the bank every month and have done for 25 years. That way when I need a new car I have the money to purchase it outright. The only thing that I owe on is my house and I hope to have that paid off in 5 years. No Dept makes you sleep so well at night.
Congrats man! That would certainly help you sleep at night. :rocker:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Title in hand the day I bought it! Just like my dad did it the old days I do it today! I have done this on every car I bought!

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Mine will be paid off before years end. Bought it before graduating college and had it financed @ 4 years....it will be paid off in less than 3.5 years.

Reallistically it should have been paid off within a couple years, but instead a house, engagement ring, another car, and many FJ mods were in order. Once the FJ's paid off I won't have any debt - other than the house mortgage.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should have known there were quite a few guys that were near paid off or never were financed. There is a lot of money flowing in the aftermarket portion of this site. Financing sucks and you pay out the rear even with a good interest rate but at least it was a certified pre owned so I have a warranty for all but 6 months of my loan (assuming I don't get a pay raise that allows me to start making larger payments :) )

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
:wave::wave:
Mine was paid off the day I drove it off the lot. .....The only thing that I owe on is my house and I hope to have that paid off in 5 years. No debt makes you sleep so well at night.
X2

Nothing more stressful than debt. I traded my debt for wrinkles and gray hair.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
My dilema is I have enough saved now to either get all the MOD's I wanted or pay it off. I know the smart money saving thing is to pay it off. but then I have to wait a couple more years to get all my MODS.. Decisions
The voice is my head asked me - If you knew you were to lose your job in the next few months, what would you do?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The voice is my head asked me - If you knew you were to lose your job in the next few months, what would you do?
Yeah, if I was in that spot I would agree. The best mod for any vehicle is to have that title in your hand. All others should be able to wait unless something is broken and needs to be upgraded.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Great point, I happen to be in the Army so unless the Goverment falls I should have a job. but man tuff decision. My MOD list is 7000 which corresponds to my payoff. Oh well im still in Afghanistan for 3 more weeks so I got 3 weeks to make my choice.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Mine was paid off the day I drove it off the lot. I put a payment in the bank every month and have done for 25 years. That way when I need a new car I have the money to purchase it outright. ... No Dept makes you sleep so well at night.
X10, this is the only way I will buy a car (or anything for that matter).

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm one of those who hates debt. Especially on a vehicle. It was paid for when it left the dealership. Credit card companies also hate me. I use them, but the balance is paid off every month so they get no interest. They even have a name for people like me. They call us deadbeats. Can you believe it. The ones they like(always run a balance)they call revolvers.:lol:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Paid cash. What you spend in intrest would pay for most mods!

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Here's my dilema...bought an '07 back in July of '06, changed jobs (not by choice) so for a brief period I was making less $. Well as I was starting to get my finances in order, the FJ got repo'd. So, my mother, the wonderful woman that she is, took out a loan in her name and gave me the money to get it back. The last 4 years I've been paying, are you ready for this.....$640 A MONTH! I have two payments left....thank god. Well back in May of '10 I totaled the FJ, and picked up another one, used from Michigan with the insurance money. Now the issue... Michigan FJ has a bit of rust underneath and I kind of want to unload it before the rust takes over. My other thought is buying another FJ, at a HIGH intrest rate, could help rebuild my credit.......Don't know what to do?!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts