Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased medium OME front and rear lift springs. I noticed the OME front shocks are 269.99 at Toytec. Do they last more than the typical 30,000 mile recommendation for shock changing? Would I be better of investing in a set of king or fox rebuildable shocks? Will those shocks work with OME springs? Please help! :boohoo:

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I just purchased medium OME front and rear lift springs. I noticed the OME front shocks are 269.99 at Toytec. Do they last more than the typical 30,000 mile recommendation for shock changing? Would I be better of investing in a set of king or fox rebuildable shocks? Will those shocks work with OME springs? Please help! :boohoo:
First, OME springs are designed to be used with OME strut shocks in the front - not the factory shocks (I know many will tell you otherwise, but the OEM stuff will not hold up well or react on the trail as well as a tuned, matching OME unit).

In my experience, there is no need to replace any performance shock at a certain mileage - they should be checked for obvious signs of damage or wear (dented housings, bad bushings, leaking seals, etc.), but better quality stuff holds up longer. Of course, all is dependant on the abuse you give them - harder driving takes a faster toll on shocks / springs.

Coilovers are complete units, integrating the strut shock and coil into one assembly - a Fox (or Walker Evans, total chaos, donahoe, Icon Vehicle Dynamics, Sway-a-Way, etc.) coilover will not need or work with the OME coils you purchased. The decision to go with coilovers is more about performance and strength than longevity - you may need to rebuild a coilover more often than replacing a standard strut, but the on-and off road performance advantages they provide cannot be matched by a standard coil/shock combination.

And while price is an important consideration in any purchase, try not to buy performance upgrades based on price alone - there's a reason some brands are more expensive than others, and figuring out what will work better for the way you drive your vehicle, even if it is initially more costly, will save you money and headaches in the future (even if it takes you longer to be able to buy what works best). Good luck with your choice.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
I would agree 100% with Larry's post.

On the OME-specific question of longevity, the OME's were designed for long-term use in everyday offroad conditions (i.e. trucks in the outback - these are Australian parts - that's a good thing :)). They'll do fine. I've beat mine more than that with alot of sustained, fast, offroad driving. I broke both my front shocks :) But the sliver lining is that OME is very good about warranteeing their parts - both mine were replaced gratis. What's better than rebuildable? Free replacement :). So I would say "don't worry about it." OME's are rugged, much better than stock, and great for most applications. BUT they're not as good as the luxury end models. For full disclosure, I will probably go to something like a top-end system (King, SAW, Icon) at some point if I keep doing fast, baja-style running.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would agree 100% with Larry's post.

On the OME-specific question of longevity, the OME's were designed for long-term use in everyday offroad conditions (i.e. trucks in the outback - these are Australian parts - that's a good thing :)). They'll do fine. I've beat mine more than that with alot of sustained, fast, offroad driving. I broke both my front shocks :) But the sliver lining is that OME is very good about warranteeing their parts - both mine were replaced gratis. What's better than rebuildable? Free replacement :). So I would say "don't worry about it." OME's are rugged, much better than stock, and great for most applications. BUT they're not as good as the luxury end models. For full disclosure, I will probably go to something like a top-end system (King, SAW, Icon) at some point if I keep doing fast, baja-style running.
mir207, do the OME's have a warranty period on them? Certain amount of miles or something?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some guys was talking to me about the diffrerence in cost of installing them though. He siad that I would save a ton of money by installing the icons over OME. Hard to believe but Im sure you guys would know over me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Who told you to replace shocks every 30k?????
OME will last you for more then 100k if you will wheel nice. If you start jumping on rocks or sand dunes, then may be your shocks will be off earlier. I know a local guy with 70 Land Cruiser with OME and 250k on it without problem.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
never heard a mile limit on shocks....i have always done it when they either got damaged or were noticeably causing issues with handling or clearance....if your truck bounces for two minutes after you hit a speed bump...you might need shocks. LOL

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Looks like some, possibly most, have better luck with shocks that I do. Now let me say up-front that I have not owned OME's or Toyota's (FJ is 1st) before, but my factory shocks (including Bilsteins) always wear out around 20K. I most often replaced them with Rancho's (not everyones favorite) and they would last 50K plus. On a DD/street driver the compression will normally give out before the dampening, especially on a "performance" shock. I would like something a little better (cornering) on the FJ, but I'll probably wait until the factory shocks wear out. The IFS is a little more involved that a Wrangler front-end:rofl: Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.