Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the cargo area in the back is a HUGE plus of having an FJ. For long trips I will be throwing bikes on a bike rack but for just a 10 minute trip out to some trails has anyone just thrown bikes in the back? If so is fitting 2-3 back there realistic? I will be an owner of an FJ on Friday (after 6+ months of looking) and was wondering if I am going to have to bite the bike rack bullet early or if a couple can fit in the back with the seats down?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
How did you fit them? There's no way they fit in wheels down. The cabin isn't tall enough. They would have to be on their side.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have fit three, two cross country mts and a downhill with the single seat still up
I second that. I cannot fit my downhill bike in the back without taking the front wheel off tho. If you orient XC bikes the right way (front wheel off) you could probably fit 4 of them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Take the front wheel off seats down, lay the downhill in first It is a VERY tight fit, I had to put a wheel on the roof

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes they will fit depending on the style and size of bike but.......buy a hitch/receiver mount bike rack. One pin locks it in then no worries to bikes or FJ. My rack actually has enough clearance that when mounted my bike tires are above my bumper level so I dont sacrifice clearance either.

Enjoy the new vehicle....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I need to measure to see if my hitch mounted rack is going to fit on the back with the spare back there but it gives me an idea, thanks guys.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Dont forget for something as light as a bike rack a hitch extension from harbor freight is a decent option if clearance is an issue. Good luck

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Yea I need to measure to see if my hitch mounted rack is going to fit on the back with the spare back there but it gives me an idea, thanks guys.
I have a standard bike rack and it clears the spare tire just fine plus it's much easier to get the bike out... Rather then pulling out from cargo area

·
Registered
160 Posts
First, welcome...you will love your FJ.

I'm in Jax as well. I took my bikes to Hannah Park this past weekend, which is only a 10 minute drive for me and it was worth putting them on the hitch-mounted bike rack for me. Like someone mentioned, the plastic in the cargo area scratches super easy. I still put all kinds of stuff in mine, but it looks like it. Also, the cargo area is not as big as you would hope. My wife's Cr-V has similar, if not more, useable cargo space.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts