Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the market for an FJ and in my price point, most have 200k miles or more. I try and look for one owner vehicles as well. I saw one in great condition with 300k miles! I'm interested to hear your experiences! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
What is your comfort level?

I have friends who will not buy over 50k. Others who won't touch over 100k. I have bought many vehicles over 200k. 1 owner, all records. Maintenance history is key. Look it over with a fine tooth comb.

My dad's tacoma (1 owner) has 467K miles. I would buy his, if it went for sale.

Everybody's risk tolerance is different. For me if perfectly maintained, I don't see anything wrong with 200K.

I have seen cars at 100K falling apart, and 500k Toyota/Honda in excellent condition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very true. I sold my 2003 Sequoia with 125k miles, but I babied it, so I knew it was in pristine condition.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I am in the market for an FJ and in my price point, most have 200k miles or more. I try and look for one owner vehicles as well. I saw one in great condition with 300k miles! I'm interested to hear your experiences! Thanks.
What do you plan on using the vehicle for?

FJ's are overpriced, compared to even Tacomas and 4Runners. Unless there's something very specific that you need the FJ for -- the Tacoma has more utility, the 4Runner is almost as good of an offroader -- I wouldn't limit yourself to the FJ. If clean FJ's are out of your price range, change your price range or include more vehicles. You are paying a premium for a rare / desirable vehicle, make sure you need (want?) to pay that premium.

As for high-miles FJ's: it is 100%, absolutely positively about the previous owner. A well-maintained truck will last, an abused truck won't. For the 150K+ trucks you're more buying based on the owner rather than the truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you plan on using the vehicle for?

FJ's are overpriced, compared to even Tacomas and 4Runners. Unless there's something very specific that you need the FJ for -- the Tacoma has more utility, the 4Runner is almost as good of an offroader -- I wouldn't limit yourself to the FJ. If clean FJ's are out of your price range, change your price range or include more vehicles. You are paying a premium for a rare / desirable vehicle, make sure you need (want?) to pay that premium.

As for high-miles FJ's: it is 100%, absolutely positively about the previous owner. A well-maintained truck will last, an abused truck won't. For the 150K+ trucks you're more buying based on the owner rather than the truck.
Jimmy,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, in California, they all are overpriced and are about the same when it comes down to mileage and cost. I totally get what you're saying though.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Jimmy,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, in California, they all are overpriced and are about the same when it comes down to mileage and cost. I totally get what you're saying though.
They are overpriced everywhere.

Did you see the guy (member here), bought a 13 TT 63K mile FJ Cruiser. Sold it here for $36 after 3 months.

He then paid $45K for a 13TT FJ with 22K miles. He also has a 4runner PRO (that was cheaper than his FJ) and a Tundra Pro.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are overpriced everywhere.

Did you see the guy (member here), bought a 13 TT 63K mile FJ Cruiser. Sold it here for $36 after 3 months.

He then paid $45K for a 13TT FJ with 22K miles. He also has a 4runner PRO (that was cheaper than his FJ) and a Tundra Pro.

Thanks, SandFJ. Yeah, my budget is a third of his, so definitely not going that route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts