Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

481 - 493 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
TX > CO > TX couple weeks out skiing and we’re back. Wanted to see how she’s do and it went without a hiccup

Rolled 174000 today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holy S***! 335,000 miles on your FJ?? What if any major work has it needed to get to last so many miles? Let me know if you detailed that in another post. Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Holy S***! 335,000 miles on your FJ?? What if any major work has it needed to get to last so many miles? Let me know if you detailed that in another post. Thanks.
First - my experience leads me to believe that a mall crawler should go 200k without major work. Mine was hard mileage - farm work, oilfield roads and lots of hunting. The following items will need to be replaced before 300k (probably): front bearings, u-joints, fan motor, evaporator core, valve cover gaskets, alternator, rear oil seal, water pump and possibly rear differential seals. After 300k, it is the CV axles, king pins, rear differential seals, all ball joints and the LCAs. The LCA's just rust up due to position and road grime and salt - making alignment difficult to maintain. Do the UCAs when you swap out your struts for a lift kit or for wear.

I would recommend letting a shop do the following repairs: evaporator/heater core; rear oil seal and rear differential seals. #1 requires nearly complete dashboard disassembly; #3 requires a lot of tricky tools most people don't have and #2 requires parting the engine from the drivetrain at the rear of the block - can be done, but you better have a friend a a long weekend.

I am about to buy a brake master cylinder, as I can feel the current one has some wear, but it hasn't gotten critical. I'm looking for a used one via junkyard due to the cost of new. Then I can do a rebuild on the original one without any rush. PS pump is also on my junkyard list.

and, of course, YMMV...

481 - 493 of 493 Posts