Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

501 - 520 of 557 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
38,xxx on my Silver 07 that I purchased new. I put about 2-3K miles on it a year. I don't drive it a lot but I enjoy it when I do. I have lots of other cars I drive as well.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm at 208k on my daily driven 08 I bought new end of December 08.

Just put an alternator on in Sept last year and I replaced water pump with an aisin unit 2 weekends ago. Drive belt and all pulleys as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As of today, 5000 miles. Ours is a 2012. We bought it new, used it for 6 months, went overseas for 6 months and came back to Australia 7 years later.... We left it in our garage on a trickle charger and didn’t do anything else. Yesterday I took it off charge and it started first time. Gave it a wash and its back on the road. its getting a major service next week. Time doesn't seem to matter to Toyotas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2nd owner, had 32k on my 07 purchased in 09. I have passed 216000 without serious issue. 3rd alternators! They just die at around 80k. I have the swap out down to 30 minutes to include a beer or two. Always replace serpentine belt. That’s it. It keeps on ticking like no other vehicle I’ve owned.

·
トヨタ Master
6,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
As of today, 5000 miles. Ours is a 2012. We bought it new, used it for 6 months, went overseas for 6 months and came back to Australia 7 years later.... We left it in our garage on a trickle charger and didn’t do anything else. Yesterday I took it off charge and it started first time. Gave it a wash and its back on the road. its getting a major service next week. Time doesn't seem to matter to Toyotas.
That's a great story. You're right. I pull many Toyotas from barns, back yards, fields, etc and after some fuel system cleanup, they always seem to come to life. This is a testament to just how well they are built.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2008 TT with almost 127,000. Unfortunately, I had the dreaded head gasket issue about 2 months ago. Got that taken care of and, while it was apart, had the timing chains and tensioners replaced also. Should be good for another 200k.

·
Registered
218 Posts
2008 TT with almost 127,000. Unfortunately, I had the dreaded head gasket issue about 2 months ago. Got that taken care of and, while it was apart, had the timing chains and tensioners replaced also. Should be good for another 200k.
What is the dreaded head gasket issue? Have not heard about this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
トヨタ Master
6,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #518
Head gasket failures on 1GR-FE are not a common occurrence. Three point slow for sure, not 4.0s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is the dreaded head gasket issue? Have not heard about this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
A few months ago, I had a check engine light that showed a misfire in #6 with a "shudder" at start up. Then, after about 15 seconds, engine would smooth out. I changed the plugs, fuel injectors, full fuel system cleaning and also read a bunch of stuff about the cylinder 6 issues. My mechanic took a camera and ran it down cylinder 6 and saw the cylinder wall was soaked in coolant. From what I read, it was an issue with the head gasket material (guys, please correct me if I'm wrong). After tear down, the condition of the old head gasket showed evidence of overheating at some point before I bought it. The new head gasket material looked much different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Head gasket failures on 1GR-FE are not a common occurrence. Three point slow for sure, not 4.0s.
I know. That's what baffled me for a while. After my mechanic did the teardown, he noticed that at some point before I bought it, there was evidence of overheating....unfortunate for me. I even talked with a good friend, who is an operations manager at a local dealership, and he was baffled also. Said he didn't remember ever having an FJ,or a 4.0 for that matter, coming in for a head gasket issue. Good thing is my FJ is good to go now.

501 - 520 of 557 Posts