Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many windshields does it take for Safelite to get it right. Answer:3 and I wouldn't consider the 3rd installed correctly. :flame:

Drop off my FJ at Safelite to get my windshield replaced.
Picked it up and it had wind noise coming through the windshield.
Drop off my FJ at Safelite to get the 1st windshield replaced.
Picked it up an noticed a big scratch on top off the windshield from drivers side to middle of windshield.
Drop off my FJ at Safelite to get the 2nd windshield replaced.
Picked it up an noticed a big gap between hood and body panel where the wipers mount.

So at this point I gave up and I will realign the panels myself. I think monkeys could have done a better job.

Avoid Safelite at all costs

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
After recent round with dealer, in regards windshield replacement, I'd prequalify any potential installer. I lucked into a mobile repair guy who carries all the clips and the top trim piece on his truck for FJ. More than I can say for the dealer, who said it'd take a week to get. I lucked out and didn't need trim, lucked out with $340 total bill, and a quality job that was explained as it was performed. I've yet to drive it, but I think it was responsible for a lot of wind noise, and responsible for a dashboard puddle. I can appreciate your discontent.

·
Registered
477 Posts
... I'd prequalify any potential installer....

Very important. Ask around in advance so you are prepared when you get a chip, crack or need it replaced. That's what we did when we moved here. We asked around and obtained references for mechanics, doctors, dentists, etc. We were warned about all the wind/gravel/rock damage to vehicles so that was added to our list of recommended businesses. Around here it isn't if, but when you'll need a new windshield. Go with an installer with good references.

We use Novus Auto Glass in Cheyenne. Novus is a chain. They are not the cheapest around nor the most expensive(we've checked), but they do it right the first time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I had the 1st windshield replaced the technician said he had done FJs before and said he had the clips and top molding. So I was pretty confident that they knew what they were doing. Too bad the 1st install had an air leak otherwise it would have been ok.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Have now driven and, I kinda expected, but a marked improvement in overall windshield noise. Hard to say if it's 100% attributable to new, properly installed windshield, or the new Dynamat installation Monday, but much better. Good luck with Safelight. I'll warn of the possibility of having to pick moldings off the side of the highway, if new clips aren't installed. For that fact, may be worth the $6 investment and trip to dealer to insure they're properly installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts