Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your guys help on this one. I honestly don't know much about kits and I don't want to get ripped off when asking for a quote. How much are you guys paying?

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I need your guys help on this one. I honestly don't know much about kits and I don't want to get ripped off when asking for a quote. How much are you guys paying?

Thanks in advanced
You might want to let us all in on what type of lift you intend to install.

Spacer lifts and adjustable coil overs are super easy and fast to install. Maybe $300 labor would be fair price. A Full drop suspension will take two techs all day...could be $1500 or more...It all depends on the labor rates.

Another thing to consider is if you buy the lift from the shop doing the work... They can get kits and parts cheaper than you...so they may cut you somewhat of a break...They can make little money there and are familiar with certain brands...You may just surf around here in the Technical articles and do a little research and reading. You might be surprised at how easy some of these kits are to DIY. :cheers: Good luck...you might find a forum member willing to help you out for a few $$$ and a few cold ones! Bunch of people up your way! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Do you have any experience wrenching? If you have some friends/tools it's a great experience to learn about how your rig goes together. If not I understand and I've heard anything from 250-600 bucks. If all you are doing is putting in a new set of coilovers in front i'd say max 2 hours. The rear is pretty easy as well but for someone taking their time max another two hours.

If you are doing it with normal hand tools factor in 8 hours :) Good Luck.

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
If you do take it to have it put on.....I would not pay more than $300

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Full suspension kit take about 4 hours by someone who knows what they are doing. Price depends on the shops hourly rates. Shop around for hourly rates. Typical is about 80/hr around here, not sure where you live.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I don't like paying someone to do this sort of work. I'd rather put my money into tools and do it myself. You could buy all the tools you need to do the lift for less than you'd pay someone to do it for you. If you haven't done much wrenching, it's much easier if you have someone near you who's willing to show you some of the tricks though. If that person has some air tools, it can speed things up a lot too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Payed one little wrenching cut on one finger and a gooood blood blister on another that later popped and grossed out my wife!!! oh and the tax i paid to borrow spring compressors from AutoZone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback, I received a Rough Country 3'' kit for XMAS and I asked my Toyota Dealer and they gave me an estimate of $800 to install. There's a local 4X4 shop I'm going to stop by and ask for an estimate.

I've been reading on this forum and as many of you guys kept going back and forth with Toyotec and Rough Country. Rough Country had a great price I couldn't pass up. I will post pics as soon as I get it installed

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
OME 3" lift kit, 350$ With UACs installed but not Aligned , that's extra.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got a quote to install the Icon stage 5 for 750. Honestly that is a rip off, and that quote was if I bought the kit through them so it was a "special deal" lol.

·
Registered
111 Posts
the RC 3" is one of the easier lifts to install. The 4x4 shop should know what they're doing and it shouldn't take long to install it. As many other's in this thread have already said, $300 would be the most I'd pay to have it installed.

If you have a friend that knows a little about working on cars, it could be a fun afternoon installing it yourself. Just remember to get a realignment when all is said and done.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I paid a couple of cases of beer and some lunch....doing it yourself is always more rewarding!

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
If you lived near by...I would have been more than happy to help you with the install....I still have my RC 3" lift, its sitting in my shed collecting dust! It was a good lift. I just wanted to go bigger

·
Registered
281 Posts
I got the toytec coilovers and shocks up front put on for $100 and alignment for $60.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got the Pro Comp 3" installed for around 190-200 mot including alignment. This is front struts and springs and rear shocks and springs. They said it was a 4 hour job but who knows.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
im going to pay in beer :cheers:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I paid $120 full install + $120 lifetime alignment at Firestone here in Houston

Couldn't be happier, the guys there are all off roaders and had it done in about 3 hours.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
We've got a Colorado Garage Club scheduled to do an ICON stage I install later in March. Ask around if you can to see who might be able to help. Great get together and you'll learn a great deal about your ride. I'll let you know how it turns out later.
We're trying to get as many people there as we can and look at examples of further mods that people may be interested in.
Should be fun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts