Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currious to know what most people are paying their local liner shops to coat differnt pieces parts. I don't want to get into the liner vs rattle can discussion, just currious to know what most people paid to have different pieces parts professionaly liner coated. Rhino linex etc not powder coated... Although powder coating prices would be usefull to.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I received 2 quotes to LineX a bumper. $580 and $650.

Haven't considered LineX for anything since.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My sliders will be here tomorrow and I'd like to coat them and some hitch accessories.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The price that I was quoted was really low-balled ,as the owner had just taken over the franchise and had'nt any idea of how much to charge! Stand up guy and kept his word! I also helped him do the masking!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swicago, as the undisputed subject matter expert on line-x i appreciate the input about not lining the sliders..........but......... as I stated I did not want to get into that discussion. I live in South Louisiana and use my FJ as a DD and as a means to get to my hunting lease. We have very few if any rocks. Tree stumps and loose logs are my biggest hazard. I have two small kids and the new sliders I ordered intended to be used as a step as much as armor. I entend to do quite a bit of off roading localy and maybe even on some longer trips so I want the protection they offer as well. I just figured the liner would provide a good durable grip on the top of the sliders and that I could rattle can touch up any scrapes on the bottom? If you have another good looking idea to provide traction to the top surface please share it. I don't really care for the grip tape applications I've sceen on a tube type slider. The bike tire idea is kinda cool, but .... just want a finished look. Really just currious if anyone has brought these type of pieces to there coating places and what most will charge. I've got some other ideas for things I'd like to coat as well. Storage boxes, stuff for my boat, roof rack attachments etc. I guess my question is this... I know labor and material, but how do most coating places determine the cost to coat X Y or Z.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser
2,468 Posts
Whatever they charge, it will be more than you may think it is worth. You'll be paying for all of the overspray they wasted doing smaller or intricate parts. AJsToy had his ARB roof rack linexed and it was about as much as the cost of spraying his roof because of how much spray is used (and wasted.)

I have lined rockrails (I did not line them) and trust me, I have a gash. The stuff will start to peel. Also, be wary of plastic parts getting coated. I have peeling there as well. There was no prep at all on the plastic before spraying (which is terrible!) and where there is no inside edge (ie mud flap) it is peeling off slowly.

I need to investigate a fix for my plastic areas. the sliders can peel off for all I care.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bump, prime time,

anyone else out there have some quotes for coats? Anything mirrors, bumpers, rails, racks, anything.....

Chris

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Chris, i don't have any quotes for ya.

I bought some Herculiner from the reviews i have read. I used some on the front of my hood. I really like how it turned out. I am still planning on coating the tops of the rock rails once the weather warms up and i have some spare time.

What i would do if i was you for MUCH cheaper is what i am doing. Paint or have the rails painted, then apply Herculiner to just the top section of the rails where you need it and mask off the other areas.

I have seen Line-x on the rock rails of other vehicles and it does tend to come off in strips. The problem is then cleaning that area out, sanding it, and then painting it. The Herculiner doesn't do that from what i have seen. You could easily do the tops of both rock rails with the quart size can, which is only 30 bucks from PepBoys. You can apply the Herculiner onto the rails painted already, but it will stick better if directly on the metal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts