Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
you know what would be great from one of you guys in the know about all these different types of insulating materials is a thread that lists them all in the first post with general pros/cons and typical applicaitions.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm just not a fan of fiberglass foam...I'd much rather use great stuff personally. And yeah...next time Imma wear gloves...this stuff if all over my hands clearly is going to only come off when the top layer of skin gets worn off...bleh. What precautions do you have to take using R-13? And did you use spray adhesive before shoving it in there?
The spray foam is on you for a while. sucks doesn't it? :) As far as the R-13 goes, I didn't use any adhesives, just cut it into strips 6-8 inches wide and start laying it in there , don't try to pack it so that it is squished down completely flat, but pack it so it is dense and compressed about half of it 's thickness , some places it will be hard to do that , so just fill it as best you can, and in the spaces like in the big holes in the quarters, put you one big piece in last with the paper side out so that you won't have to worry with any fibers shedding on you while re installing the interior...

pay no mind to the carpet padding, I took it all out after I put dampi-pro on the back of the plastic panels...

You can kinda see the insulation in the drivers side in this pic...

·
Banned
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The spray foam is on you for a while. sucks doesn't it? :) As far as the R-13 goes, I didn't use any adhesives, just cut it into strips 6-8 inches wide and start laying it in there , don't try to pack it so that it is squished down completely flat, but pack it so it is dense and compressed about half of it 's thickness , some places it will be hard to do that , so just fill it as best you can, and in the spaces like in the big holes in the quarters, put you one big piece in last with the paper side out so that you won't have to worry with any fibers shedding on you while re installing the interior...

pay no mind to the carpet padding, I took it all out after I put dampi-pro on the back of the plastic panels...

You can kinda see the insulation in the drivers side in this pic...
Very nifty. I might pick some up I ended up using a total of 5 cans on both sucide doors...then notice that I was blocking the locking mechanism at the bottom so I had to reach in there and pull foam out...alas my hands now have about three layers of great stuff on them...can I use R-13 on the floor in place of Dynaliner?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would not try it on the floor, you are gonna have to squish it so flat that the floor might not fit back in there right, and making it that flat ( i.e bout 1/4" ) would probably diminish all sound blocking ability. You should use the dynaliner, or luxury liner , overkill pro, something designed for high noise blocking situations. It is not so much vibration as flat out noise that you need to eliminate from the floor...Since you have already laid a good amount of matt on the floor.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts