Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I’m currently looking at a couple of FJs and wanted some “professional” thoughts and opinions. ;-)

2008 FJ Trail Teams, 180,000, good service history, good condition, $1

2012 FJ Base, 170,000 miles, good service history, good condition, $19k

Are the ‘08 Trail Teams upgrades better than the 2012 engine improvements? I guess what I’m asking is the TT version that much better than a base model? Or is it mainly for the exclusive badges and suspension?

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
In my opinion there is not much difference between any model year FJ with any package with the exception of 4WD vs 2WD. That's just my salty opinion. I think it's crazy that 2010+ models are commanding $30k+ sometimes. You'll find me in a 2007-2009 as the newer models are not worth double the price.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The $1 one sounds like a no brainer. ;)

Seriously, the previous responders have it covered. IMO the value of a Trail Teams is at Barrett Jackson in 15-20 years but it has to be all original. Once it's modified, it's like any other FJ.

However, If you don't like the white roof, the TT is an option. I think the all Army Green (2011?) looks bad ass. But I'm not trading my "base" Army to get one.

·
Registered
2014, Trails Team Ultimate Edition.
69 Posts
"Opinion thought"
Although there are differences between years regardless of TT or not, I believe a person could be happy with any FJ year. the FJ tends to take on it's own personality especially after you start tweaking and making modifications, or just simple weekend getaways creating memories together. I know I'm romanticizing the experience but it becomes a relationship; and the bond only strengthens with time making it harder to depart for most. evident by the responses already posted and throughout this forum, everyone is happy with theirs regardless of the year or trim.

"Professional thought"
if you pass on the $1 option, please send me the sellers information....

a good read:

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
If your getting it as an investment then get the TT. If your getting it to enjoy the hell out of it get the base model. All FJs are the same. The TT just costs twice as much. On the TT all your getting is a couple of badges :)

·
20,524 Posts
"All FJ's are the same" The F**K they are. :ROFLMAO:

Don't tell 'em about the rare 51 factory mistakes or the ICON/TLC XPLORE versions.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Circle Logo

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Font

Automotive tail & brake light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car
Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Font
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trail Teams has TRD Wheels, BFG All Terrain Tires, Bilstein Shocks, Locking Rear Differential, Rock Slider Rails, Single Exterior Color (no white roof), Blacked-Out Exterior Trim, Colored Seat Panels (that match the exterior color), Trail Teams Badges.

·
Admin
13,261 Posts
I wanted the 08 TT.

I got the 08 TT.

Arm Shoulder Eyelash Body jewelry Neck

Find out what you WANT and go for it.

• Haha
Reactions: Hannibal

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
47,412 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Winterpeg

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Are the ‘08 Trail Teams upgrades better than the 2012 engine improvements? I guess what I’m asking is the TT version that much better than a base model? Or is it mainly for the exclusive badges and suspension?
An '08 Trail Teams in white is the easiest Trail Teams to replicate with another white truck from any year, simply by blacking out the plastics on the truck then adding the correct wheels.

Point being, you can have both white/black Trail Teams look with all the mechanical improvements of the 2010+ trucks.

Given your choice I'd go with the 2012. In my humble opinion, the 2010-2012 are the best years of FJ for mostly a lot of small reasons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Every FJ was available with the option of a locking rear differential. Nothing special about it on a TT.
Point is ... it was standard with the TT. How many non-TT's were optioned with a locking rear differential ... probably only a fraction. This is really the only non-bolt-on difference other than paint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thx guys, I appreciate all the feedback. The 08 TT is listed for $19.5k

I really like the all white look of that TT but felt I was falling for the TT "allure" when that 2012 (2WD) is probably just as good.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Every post misses the fact that the TT has a locking rear differential.
I think more than a fraction came with the locking rear dif, I’d venture to say the majority actually did. The non-TT with a locking diff and new shocks is the same dang vehicle. If your goal
Is to off-road and you want the best value, go non TT. The TT is higher priced but not any more capable when comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The '12 is 2wd?
I must have missed that detail.
The guys are going to beat your ear over that.

All i'll say (as someone who bought a 2wd intentionally) is that it's too expensive.
I bought mine in october 140k, from CA, for 13k on a dealer lot.
It's spotless underneath, and had been there for a couple months, so i might have overpaid at 13.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts