Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that sounds weird, but here's the deal:

The dealer I've been working with offered me a deal at $650 over invoice, no matter what I bought.

Fair enough, but in three mouse clicks through truecar.com I got offers of $450 below invoice from one dealer and $950 below invoice from an AutoNation-affiliated dealer, both the same deal - you order whatever, we total it up, it's factory invoice with the adjustment.

I asked my dealer if there was wiggle room on their price and they actuallly got snotty with me and said they had "already spent two months" on the deal when all they did was get me numbers - I had to continuously call them to check on the information they were supposed to get me.

I admit, this is my first Toyota purchase and they're weird - every other car maker I've ever bought from just published what each option cost, but with Toyota they apparently have to go into the computer, find one that was built with the option in question and get the price of it that way. Very, very strange.

Still, that's their job - to get me #[email protected]! pricing.

They're a good, not slimy seeming dealer, but at the same time I'm a little loathe to just hand them an extra $1600 over the $950 below invoice offer just because they're nice (or at least were before they got snotty.)

They're not selling Ferraris here, they're selling Toyotas, and it's a commodity - in most areas of the retail world if I find a lower price the retailer will match it, not get all snotty about it.

So how about it? I've seen posts saying that invoice or even $800 above it via Costco is a great deal, so am I making too big a deal over $1600?

Quite frankly the whole situation is souring me on the "nice" dealer at this point, when they haven't had to do any real work - I went on one five minute test drive and came in with a list of exactly what I wanted. No salesmanship involved, and as often seems to be the case I knew more about the 2011 FJ's features and options than my salesman did, and I'm just researching, it's his job to know.

Thanks in advance - I know dealers need to make a profit to keep the lights on, but really, I could do without the attitude.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Change dealers and tell the "nice" dealer you didn't want to overwork them. .........:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I just put my Son in law in a Dodge truck..(well gave him the cash to put down so he could afford it) He went to a dealer him and my daughter had been working with for about a week... finally sat down to do the paper work.. needed 6000$ dwn, A co signer, payments were going to be right at 490$...needed a additional 1000$ for a bed liner and hitch... Called me I told him to tell the guy to get Bent!
They then Drove 20 miles to another DOdge place I had looked at a Magnum at,They found same truck, color , options,warranty package, everything! 4000$dwn, 410 a month, No co signer.. threw in a bed liner and hitch...Free odf charge..
Dealer ship Hire sales men, on commision, to sale vehicles...SO the salesmen might be trying to fatten his pocket if sales are strong at that shop/// Sales ar weak he will work his pants off to make the sale

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Don't be fooled by their "invoice" price, its never what they tell you. Them telling you that you are paying close to or less than "invoice" is just a ploy to make you feel good about your purchase.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Don't be fooled by their "invoice" price, its never what they tell you. Them telling you that you are paying close to or less than "invoice" is just a ploy to make you feel good about your purchase.
I agree...I've had several dealers tell me 'invoice', then when I whip out several printouts from truecar.com/edmunds/kbb/CR, they start to spit nails. The internet is great for consumers, horrible for the dishonest dealer.:rocker:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My $.02. Walk from nice dealer. And tell them why. When they start falling all over their tongues trying to keep your business ignore them and walk out the door. It's your hard earned money, give it to someone else.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The bottom line is that all cars are commodities and the dealers just want them off the lot as fast as possible for as much money as they feel they can get.

When I bought my 2010 TT I had a really good experience with the sales rep all the way through. He let my wife take a Sequoia Platinum by herself and drive it 20 miles to my office just to show it to me. It only had 10 miles on it when she took it. He also offered to let us take home an Army Green FJ for the weekend to see if our dogs would fit in ok. In fact, when we bought it we did take the TT home for a weekend before signing anything becasue the certificate of origin did not arrive at the same and they could not legally sell it to us yet.

Becasue of all the "fun" I was having I agreed to a higher price for the TT (which was still 3+ weeks out from arriving at the dealership). I justified it becasue of the treatment I had, the fact that it was a TT (before I knew the entire NorthEast was going to be flooded with them), and it was a local dealer.

When we went in to pick-up the FJ for the weekend the dealership was having a huge tent sale and were staying open until Midnight. It was very busy and while we were sitting waiting for the keys and going over final numbers, discussing the option of a trade-in etc. in prep for a quick Monday signing it all went downhill. The layout of the place put us right next to a "pit" of finance and warranty guys. We could hear the guys plotting strategies, they scouffed at reasonable questions, and complained that they had to help us (I presume because the deal was mostly done). I asked about a Toyota warranty and the sales rep asked a guy to come over and talk us through it - he complained and cried and moaned about it within earshot of us, then put on a smiley face and proceeded to tell me they do not sell Toyota warranties - period. I told him that is all I wanted and he said it was not an option and proceeded to waste 15 minutes of my time explaing how his aftermarket one was better. Even though I had already shown them pricing I had for Toyota warranties he came back with much higher pricing as well and then asked how his pricing was. Clearly he was not paying any attention to anything I said.

Bottom line, on Monday I refused complete the deal unless they came down in pricing to my terms (which were completely fair - still something like $1200 over invoice). They quickly agreed and tried to apologize becasue of the pending survey.

It just reminded me that no matter what is said, how well they treat you, the sales department is the sales department and there one goal is to sell vehicles and sell them for as much as they can, making profit in any aspect of the deal they can. Of course, this is all good, the American way, but you just have to keep an objjective view of the situation and get the deal that is best for you.

The service/parts departments are completely separate and how they treat you may be totally different than how the sales team did. You will have to evaluate them separately - I would never worry about buying from a dealer where the car is being serviced unless you are a very regular customer.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
My sequoia had a MSRP of $52,964 and I walked out the door with zero percent financing all taxes etc included for $42,000 Mind you that is when gas hit $5.00 a gallon.

AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS ALL ABOUT WHO HAS THE DOLLARS, YOU OR THEM??

When it comes to warranty buying your better off buying from the large nation wide dealerships because their not allowed to mark them up for some reason. My dealer wanted $1900 for the 100000 mile warranty and the nationwide dealer wanted $1200.
________
TINY TITS LIVE

·
Registered
947 Posts
Profit= Price Im willing to pay and a price they are willing to sell without anyone feeling buyers remorse.

Im not comparing my purchase to everyone and their mother's car buying experience, but generally, Id go in armed with more numbers from toyota themselves on what the car cost, a pre-approval letter from toyota, and a fico score credit report, put them all in front of the internet sales manager, and ask whats your best price on the car and OTD. Heck, I dont even look at the car or go out to the lot til we agree on the price and put the paper work through.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't need the credit apps; I'm writing them a check, which should make them even more eager for the quick and easy sale.

They told me that they magically happened to order the truck "yesterday" so that kind of locks me in, though truth be told they don't have a single document with my signature so if I was feeling like Mr. Nasty I'd walk away and demand my deposit back or dispute it with my CC company. Besides, it's not like the truck is being built yet, so it would take them 30 seconds to turn it back into a generically-configured 5AT model.

I know the invoice prices are accurate as I've seen the same numbers from more than one dealer and directly on the Toyota computer.

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
Don't need the credit apps; I'm writing them a check, which should make them even more eager for the quick and easy sale.
Not necessarily; they make money on making and selling car loans too. I pay cash for my cars like you do, but I've learned over the years not to tell them that until the last possible second, certainly not until after the price is agreed on and signed for.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Who cares what the dealer thinks. Just let them know you don't really need the vehicle. If they want your business they will work with you.

D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Knowledge is power, your fair deal may be a windfall for the dealership. When we went to buy the wife's Highlander they offered me a bunch off MSRP and on the face it looked like a pretty good deal until I showed them the USAA purchasing program price I could get it for and suddenly it was $1500 different. Now I knew that this was the dealership she would be taking it to for service (about 5 min from her work) and I didn't want to rake them over the coals so we took their offer that was $250 above the USAA program price. I think in the end they certainly made enough to justify the sale and we did well enough on the deal that I wasn't going to waste hours or days trying to squeeze every dollar out of them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Decide on what you want to pay.
Call the dealer and tell them you found what you want at $xx,xxx at another dealership. Ask if they'll match it.
When they do match it, and they will, start calling other dealers and do the same to them, each time dropping $1000.
Keep working the dealers against each other till you get the price down even more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You need to have the upper hand at all times in the negotiation. I think its fair to give 2k over invoice. Otherwise all situations are unique kinda have to feel it out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You need to have the upper hand at all times in the negotiation. I think its fair to give 2k over invoice. Otherwise all situations are unique kinda have to feel it out.
WOW...$2K over invoice? I've never paid over invoice...must live in an area where they want the sale...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Everybody benefits they get some profit you get a good deal too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts