Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to ship a OEM rack either from Louisiana to either California or Wisconsin. I know it comes apart in the back of the rack. How much typically does it cost to ship if I take it apart to make the package (STS) smaller?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
At one time the racks were not able to ship due to packaging limitations, but that my have changed. I would go to a supporting vendor (such as TRDSource.com) and talk to them about the cost of a new rack and the shipping fee. If you choose not to purchase the rack from them, then at lease you would know if the rack is shipable and what it would cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried to get an OEM rack shipped to Cali from a back east dealership and they wouldnt do it because of shipping! I dont believe the unit can be taken apart. Im stuck buying here in Cali + taxes! I just may not do it now!!! They want $600 plus tax!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I tried to get an OEM rack shipped to Cali from a back east dealership and they wouldnt do it because of shipping! I dont believe the unit can be taken apart. Im stuck buying here in Cali + taxes! I just may not do it now!!! They want $600 plus tax!!!!!!
the rack does come apart into half its width. check cl for racks. a lot are slightly overpriced, but occasionally a cheap one pops up.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Keep an eye on the Want To Sell forum. There are OEM racks in there quite often and it probably shouldn't be too hard to find one within driving distance.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Wisconsin I don't know but it would definitely would cost around $700 to $900... and it would cost some how less to Wisconsin... any ways best of luck!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought mine from PurpleHeartFJ from Texas and he shipped to Wisconsin. He took the back section out of the rack(couple of screws on both sides) and zip tied the three pieces together. So it was two long sections and one short section. He had the cross bars in a heavy plastic bag along with all the hardware. The only issues were the plastic on the bottom of the feet was a little screwed from shipping but nothing too bad. Maybe a quick wrap of bubble wrap on the feet would help. He shipped FedEX because it was much much cheaper than Ups. I think shipping was right in around 75-80 bucks give or take. Dont remember exactly what it was but it was not that bad. I gave him 350 for the rack shipped to the door. Much cheaper than the 675 the dealer wanted for the item.

If I sell mine down the road I will ship it the same way he did!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts