Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Bad things can happen if you get water into your tranny and diffs - you can ruin them - especially the auto tranny very quickly if you get water in it. I've been in about 2 ft of water and mud and haven't had any problems - did get a minute amount of water into my rear diff, but I changed the fluid and all is good. Nevertheless, I recently did the scuba mod - very easy and inexpensive to do. I have the 6MT - I think that there's been a few folks with auto trannys get water into them and have had major problems. So if you plan to get wet a lot and have the auto tranny, it would be best to do the scuba mod on it as well.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
the_spacecowboy said:
I seen the specs of 28". Can the FJ really take on more? Also, if I read the breather mod thread. What happens if water does get into the differential, tranny, etc...?

Thanks,
space
moving? or standing still?

two different beasts.

If you stop in the water, and water creeps into the cabin... and you are slanted forward... you definitely dont want water in them computers.

If you stop in the water, and water creeps into the cabin.. and you are slanted backwards... I'm guessing the damage would not be as great (subwoofer and outlet a minor loss).

Suffice to say.. water up the dash to the radio is a BAD thing!

Now lets say your moving.. briefly you get you entire hood under water.. lets say 1 or 2 seconds.. the FJ would be ok.. my survived this exact ordeal last year.

Now lets say your moving.. crossing that mystical stream... water up to the windows... breather mod and snorkel AT least would be required.. plus some substanial speed.

my .0002 worth.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The scuba mod is a must if you plan on doing any type watercrossing, ever if you are moving, also if water does get into the diff, tranny, ect. the water can damage and possibly rust the gears.:bandit:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm...glad I asked the question then. Now, I'm still new to this, but I'm seeing breather mods for tranny, rear differential, e-locker, transfer, etc....so I'm going to have 2 breathers in the engine bay? I read the article, but it's still alittle confusing to me cause I don't know the location of the E-locker or what the heck it is.

Anyhow, I figure I'll be doing this mod then. Is there a pre-made kit already for it?

Thanks,
Travis

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
hmmm...glad I asked the question then. Now, I'm still new to this, but I'm seeing breather mods for tranny, rear differential, e-locker, transfer, etc....so I'm going to have 2 breathers in the engine bay? I read the article, but it's still alittle confusing to me cause I don't know the location of the E-locker or what the heck it is.

Anyhow, I figure I'll be doing this mod then. Is there a pre-made kit already for it?

Thanks,
Travis
No pre-made kit. Re-read the threads for the mods, they detail everything.

Might I also suggest you dont put the breathers in the engine bay.. but rather where the jack is in the rear.. this way a little water in the engine compartment doesn't expose you to water entering into your breather mod... though you might have problems elsewhere, at least the transmission would be "safe".

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
The stock rear diff & e-locker breather are only 18-19" inches off the pavement with stock tires and no lift.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Well I have seen up close and personal an FJ half way + up the doors in muddy water with very little leakage into the cabin and no ill effects as of yet on my friends rig;). Like already said moving not stopping to take in a view of the fish. Idler pulleys don't like muddy water:ack:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
My neighborhood has poor drainage and w/ the way that it flash floods here in tampa, we're underwater ALL the time (a good 2 feet on average). Last week i had to run through it twice. How would i know if i had done any damage to "Oreo Speedwagon"?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sadly, I speak from too much experience.....I got stuck in the worst case scenario. Nose end in and up to tops of the fender wells. The stock breather took in water and ruined the Tranny.

EVERYONE who intends to cross any amount of water should do the SCUBA mod first. It is so cheap and so easy to do and you will save yourself a lot of headaches. Believe me.

Without any mods, you can go 21" per Toyota which is the top of the checkers towards the front of the vehicle in this picture...

This would be right at the breather and dangerous, so i wouldnt suggest it. If you are moving you can go deeper, but keep in mind that you CANT STOP. When you do, water will get in the cab if you are any higher than the door jams. If you are in muddy water, this is a royal pain to clean out. All in all, you want to be careful with water period. Many of our FJs are not fans of water when it comes to the pulleys. And if you have an experience like mine, you will find yourself replacing/fixing the alternator, starter, and possibly other electrical items. By all means do this mod...all the parts you can get at a local auto store and it is so cheap and easy that you are crazy not to. If you cross water once in your life, it was worth it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
With a little bit of work (breather relocation and some waterproofing) you can easily have water to the hood. I forded two rivers yesterday both at this level, and the only casualty was when I left the cap off the connector for the remote for the winch. The seals around the doors held, and the waterproofing at the firewall worked great.

If I were to do this as a regular thing I would probably look at reducing the amount of electronics inside, such as stereo/speakers and relocating the 110V plugs in the rear higher up.

I will also be looking for some kind of replacement for the pulleys and alternator as the stock ones, as mentioned are not water friendly.

- Solo

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, going through deep waters is OK, but getting stuck is not. Muddy water is not good for your pulleys. My alternator has become noisier and I am thinking of taking it apart and cleaning it out. Since I only have a SCUBA mod for my rear diff&locker, I usually change oil in my manual transmission after being stuck in deep mud. My 2 cents...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts