Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how much quality i will get changing the stock radio to an aftermarket deck? Or would it be better to change out the stock speakers? Also, if i want to add speakers to the pannels by the back door, what kind of amp will i need, if one at all? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Are you planning on including an AMP? I just replaced my factory 6x9s and can't believe how cheap there were. You don't need to go crazy but you won't be disapointed witht the change.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of an amp will i need if i want to add two more speakers in back...just some 4 inch ones?

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
what kind of an amp will i need if i want to add two more speakers in back...just some 4 inch ones?
We have 2 FJ's I have a 07 sun fusion with the stock 6 disk changer and no sub. Wife has a 08 TT with a sub. She has the pioneer avic d-3. I can tell you the deck makes a huge difference over stock. Even without the sub working. The quality is much better and the stock speakers handle the higher volume better with the Pioneer. Since I am in a unique situation and drive both, all the time, I thought I could give you my take on it.
thanks
Don

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh okay, so what deck do u recomend? If i also install to speakers in back, will i need an amp?

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Amp is not required... but need to consider your budget. What do you want in a head unit? DVD, GPS.... Check out Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers I purchased my head unit and 6x9s there... Just start looking around and see what options you want. Honestly unless you are building a top end system there are quite a few good head units that wont brake the bank.

I am running without an amp right now... other than the stock sub and amp. pretty happy with the sound went with some Rockford Fosgate 6x9 will probably replace the dash speakers and rear pilar. There is also a good link on here with the ARC sub and amp replacement as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Always change the dock first, the stock headunits are always crap, and do not provide the clarity, nor the clear equalizers that Alpine, Pioneers, or Kenwood headunits offer. I noticed a incredible difference when I just changed out my headunit to a Pioneer D3, even on my old Dodge Durango, when I went to a sony headunit, it was a world of difference.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Kenwood Excelon decks are what I recommend. If the back panel speakers are un-amplified it may be hard to hear them. Wickedcas makes a speaker panel that is located on the panels that are on the side of the rear seat for 100+ you can also make your own for less than 20 bucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would recommend getting a JVC KW AVX 810 its a double din with DVD and u can remove the face plate which is helpful b/c we all don't live in perfect neighborhoods. Its also extremely easy to by-pass the parking brake function so you can watch movies while driving (your passengers anyway) and comes with a usb cable so you don't have to buy an extra ipod adapter. The sound quality is great much better than the stock deck, definitely have better clarity and more control over the highs and lows.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I can agree with puulboy above...

I have a Pioneer AVIC-D1 in my FJ powering the stock speakers. It is fairly similar to the D3 in his wife's rig. This time last year my stepfather owned a 6MT Voodoo with the FJammer head unit, and I was in it pretty often. Both FJs had the 9-speaker setup with the subwoofer.

Mine with the AVIC head unit sounded 200% better in every way. Lows were more punchy and had less distortion, and high frequency response was greatly improved. Bear in mind that a LOT of the mid- to high-end decks have advanced equalizers which allow you to compensate for the mediocre response curve of the stock speakers.

As has been said above I would definitely recommend doing the head unit before speakers IF you are going to upgrade one piece at a time. The stock head unit will have issues powering high quality speakers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont have the fj jammer...is there a stock amp?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Nope, the "amp" that powers the speakers is built into the head unit itself. No external/discrete amplifier in any of the FJ sound system options. Well, aside from the stock subwoofer which has a small amplifier integrated inside the cabinet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts