Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im not going to repaint it till i trade it if its even worth it? Do you think it would be worth it considering if you brought a scrathed in rig to trade in or a brand new shinny one? Do you think you could get the money that you spent on the paint job back plus extra?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Re: How much would a pait job cost??

I've found that unless it is the original factory paint job, the value of the vehicle goes down with any paint work. So if you're going to paint it make sure it is worth it to YOU.

·
Registered
639 Posts

If you don't have a real pro do it it will turn out like crap...
I would guess about $4-5k for a good job, more for real custom work...

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

I agree. To make it look factory at least a few grand. Custom work can go as high as you want it to. A doctor friend of mine who collects exotic sports cars (lambo, ferrari, Jags, lotus, etc..... it is an impressive collection to say the least!) and he had a vintage jag custom painted and it cost around $100,000.00
So how much do you want to spend?!?

·
Registered
685 Posts
What everyone else said. Paint job can cost $300- $300,000. You get what you pay for, but what most people would consider a really nice paintjob would run $3-5,000. I'd maybe pay to have it detailed and buffed out before you trade. Spending a hundred or two on that would pay off more than repainting, plus it'd get the interior back in shape.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i mean this was just a curiosity thread because i know i trail ride it but i really like to keep the scrathes to a minimum but, if i get them i get them.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts

Yes.. That's the deal.. Ron
I've found that unless it is the original factory paint job, the value of the vehicle goes down with any paint work. So if you're going to paint it make sure it is worth it to YOU.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If they are just pinstripes in the clearcoat then a quality detailer should be able to get them out for 1/10th the cost of a quality paint job. Aftermarket paint is usually not as durable as factory paint because they aren't able to put the vehicle in an oven to cure and it also raises questions about collision history. So, painting for the purposes of resale really doesn't make any sense unless you want to enjoy a unique color as well.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I sold automotive coatings for 9 years and everyone is correct, minimum $3k for a decent(probably alot more if you want it close to a factory finish) all over paint job not doing door jambs or under hood. I also did a short car sales stint in which I learned that if a used car manger even gets the idea of a car having paint work done your trade value just bombed.

So my advice would be to look into some magna shields if you are that worried about it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So would you just suggest to do it at the time of the trade with compound solution to get the scrathes out so it looks new instead of new paint job alot cheaper.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Factory paint job, quoted from my Toyota dealership, would cost 2.5k for the entire vehicle. Toyota uses a cheap water based paint. I will repaint mine down the road but will fork out the extra $$$ to get a tough, tough black paint job.

Compound solution (polish) will only get out surface scratches. If you can catch your finger in that scratch, more than likely polish will not get it out. Dents can generally be removed by taking off the panels and laying a micro-fiber cloth over the area and hitting it with a rubber mallet to spread the impact.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts