Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so how good are fj's offroading on models without rear diff lock. im picking up a 07 4x4 automatic tomorrow or Tuesday and it dont have a rear diff lock.

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
It's going to depend on the driver. Does it have a-trac? How much experience to do have wheeling the conditions you are referring to ? Lockers are really a game changer, on how you attack any obstacle, or adverse condition. You are allowed to use a little more finesse , instead of gas peddle. If you are experienced in using your brakes/e-brakes, while trying to climb, that helps. Lockers and a-trac, are a big plus, If you are questioning this and plan on wheeling a lot, may be you should let that cruiser go and try to find another one, with the right equipment from the start.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Depends on what you're doing but you'd have to have both axels have a wheel with no traction to be at a point where you're just spinning those two wheels. If you do that on a regular basis, then you'll probably want a locker. Good thing is, if you're doing a rear air locker, you might as well do the front at the same time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well to be honest i dont know when ill be doing any offroading other then beach or light trails in the near future. there are no buttons at all so i am assuming no a-trac either? i was told no a trac if u dont have a rear diff lock anyway's. idk. its pretty much base model truck with some added accessories.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
No rear locker is a game changer as WIKID said. You will have to do things a little differently. From what you are describing it would not kill you not to have it, but would be a big plus to have.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
For light trails and beach runs.. can't see where you need it. If and when you get to the point you want lockers.. Air lockers are better anyway imo. Don't get me wrong about the Toyota locker, as its very solid unit, just some times it takes a while to lock in.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I consider myself an intermediate wheeler, have been to Moab and CO a couple of times and I can count on one hand the number of times I've used my rear locker but I use A Trac a lot. If you always wheel with a friend and are ok knowing that it will make the odd obstacle more difficult and time consuming, I don't think it should be a deal breaker, particularly if you're not going to be wheeling a lot.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The only thing I would be concerned about is the sand if you plan on being on the beach. Not too sure if you mean the hard, wet sand, or the dry, loose stuff. A locker can be extremely helpful if you get stuck in the loose sand. When I do stuff in the sandy river bottoms here in OK, I always lock it up just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
That's a good point, terrain plays a big part in whether or not you want/need a locker. For slippery, slick, soft conditions then a locker is probably a pretty good thing to have. For hardpack, high traction surfaces then it may not be as necessary. Lockers are pretty high on rock crawlers' lists too but with the rear diff being a known weak spot on the FJ I am always pretty hesitant to engage it when I'm in the rocks, would rather take a different line or get some help than bust something.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If it was me, I would simply consider adding an ARB front & rear locker.

But that's me...

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
It's going to depend on the driver. Does it have a-trac?
If it doesn't have a rear locker (on a 4x4) it cannot have A-TRAC.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
If it was me, I would simply consider adding an ARB front & rear locker.

But that's me...
True, that is a better, mechanical and offroad ability wise, option.

But cost wise for someone who is asking if a locker is even necessary, not a good idea at all.

To add ARB lockers front and rear you are looking at 1000 for each locker, 100 or so for the compressor and hoses, then close to 500 for each diff to take it apart, add the locker and then re-do the meshing on the gears.

So you are easily looking at 3grand for front and rear lockers when you can more than likely find another 07 WITH a rear locker and A-TRAC for close to the same money if you just wait a little longer and look some more.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^agreed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts