·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you:
i) Rotate your tires;
ii) Performance balancing
iii) Perform alignment

I am using Cooper tire and maintaining the stock size and no lift.

Prior to the FJ, I have only driven sedans or SUVs and those tires were align/balanced and rotated every 5k miles.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,133 Posts
Rotate every 5k mi. After initial balance, tires should be good to go. Only need an initial alignment unless you change anything with your front suspension (control arms, tie rods, balljoints etc) or do some radial offroad stunts that would push it out of alignment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I offroad a bit and after having driven 3k miles since the last balancing, I am experiencing some steering vibration at 70mph.
Is that due to balancing issues?

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
I offroad a bit and after having driven 3k miles since the last balancing, I am experiencing some steering vibration at 70mph.
You probly lost a wheel weight.

I rotate my tires when I notice any kind of feathering on the edge of the tread. (mountain driving ) so I probly rotate about every 2K. It used to be every 5K when I lived as a flat lander.

I get a alignment about once a year unless I knock it out of alignment offroading. I have the lifetime alignment from firestone.

I hardly ever balance them only if I feel I have lost a wheel weight. :)

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
Rotate every 5k mi. After initial balance, tires should be good to go. Only need an initial alignment unless you change anything with your front suspension (control arms, tie rods, balljoints etc) or do some radial offroad stunts that would push it out of alignment.
Agree :smile That's what I do.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I too have Coopers and they are doing great. I got an alignment when I got the new tires, then after replacing some components.

Balancing whenever I feel a vibration or every 5k. Free at Discount tires. FJs are notorious for steering wheel shake at around 60 MPH when there is a balance issue. I got a free set of tires when I had 5k on my ride due to an issue from the factory. I check air pressure about monthly, especially with a change of seasons and temps.

I like to joke that my tires rotate whenever I drive. But I am sure to tell the people at shops not to rotate them. This is how I can tell if there's a problem. I will see just a bit of wear on one tire or cupping. I have no plans to go with any other tire model in the future. So I can replace 2 if they wear out sooner, or use one as the spare and then replace the spare, which is a BFG AT with some tread left and no cracking.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Every 5000 miles 5 tire rotation I do not balance unless they feel off (have lost weights a couple of times offroading and blew one off at the car wash once) i have not had an alignment since the first time I lifted it with 5100's that was over 140000 miles ago (10 years ago) and I have changed the upper control arms and lift since it was aligned. I am afraid to get an alignment because my steering wheel is straight it does not pull and tire wear is great no cupping or outer edge wear. drives great so I go by the old adage if its not broke don't fix it lol.

Reactions: FJFool and debFJVT

·
Registered
190 Posts
Before you do a balancing, just check to make sure you dont have dried mud on the on the backside of your front wheels. Yes it is sometimes that easy. :wink

·
Registered
11 Posts
BFG KO2s here.

BFG recommends rotate every 6 months or 6000-8000 miles.

But I plan on doing it every 5000 miles, because I ride on 6-12 miles of bumpy dirt road every day. 😀

And yes, during mud season, if your steering wheel vibrates, put on a pair of insulated work overalls and plan on getting on the ground at the self spray car wash and focus the power sprayer on the inside of the rims.

The mud throws it off balance. I usually use about $8 or more of quarters to get it cleaned off. ✓

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
rotate-balance every 5k. Discount Tire does this at no cost, as I bought the tires there.(y)
Alignment whenever I replace a steering or suspension part. Or new tires, or if it starts to pull or wander and I'm sure it isn't something else.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I rotate mine each spring/fall, when I swap out the summer and the snow tires.

Balance, only if there is a vibration (rarely).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts