Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so when I bought my 2010 FJ last year, I didn't trade in my 2000 Tundra because, well the dealer wouldn't give me near what it's worth (of course), and my 20 year old stepson was still using it, even though he was using it less and less because his job is 25 miles away and the gas mileage was killing him (so he borrowed my wife's Corolla for work which irked her some, but whataryagonnado?)

Anyway, as the year went by I kept telling myself I need to sell the Tundra, and shouldn't wait too long 'cause I knew gas prices would be going back up. But I put it off and put it off until after the new year started, sure enough, gas prices started going up and I'm worried about trying to sell a V8 and how much I would have to take just to get rid of it. By the time February came I told myself- okay, gotta clean it up and sell it before it's really too late.

So Groundhog day arrives and along with most of the country, we're in a deep freeze here and my brilliant stepson decides he absolutely HAS TO go out that night to the gym, even though it was below zero and my wife told him it was a bad idea and sure enough, he hits some ice and drives the Tundra into a light pole. Well thank god he's okay, but I'm looking at my Tundra with a few thousand dollars worth of damage and now I'm thinking holy crap, now I gotta get it fixed first, THEN sell it, and with Carfax and the everpresent creep of the gas prices, NOW how much am I gonna get for it?

So in steps my insurance company, telling me based on the damage, it might be a total loss, and BTW they don't go by Kelly blue book or NADA (which said the truck was worth between $5500 and $6500), but would pay out based on how much a similarly equipped truck sells for in my area. So I'm thinking, oh great, I'll be lucky to get $4000 or so and doesn't life just suck.

Well, long story short (okay it's too late for that I guess), I get a call from my insurance company (USAA, best you can get I tell you what) and they inform me they are indeed totaling out the Tundra and they're sending me a check for $8300! Holy crap, did that work out great- not only am I getting two grand over what I was expecting for selling the truck, I don't have to go through the hassle of actually selling it 'cause the salvage yard the insurance company sold it to came and picked it up a couple of days ago.

So since I got more out of the whole ordeal than I was expecting, the wife agrees I should spend the extra dough on FJ mods......oh happy day! Got an ARB roof rack and brush guard on the way and I'm busy picking out auxillary lights to order.

Now I'm not a religious man, and most of the time I consider myself an agnostic, but sometimes I think there really might be a God, and you know what- he likes FJ's........

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
nice deal. and yes, usaa is the best. so happy i have them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts