Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow it has been 3 years so far and I am finally getting around to putting a build thread together not that I have really done much to the rig but it makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel or walk past it.

Rig name: the Goat (Goes Over All Terrain)

The main theme of this build is to keep it clean (do it right the first time)

Yes most people see my rig and think of it as mall crawler and it is only spelt MAUL. It does get used.

In August of 2008, I was driving down the road and spotted it on a used car lot set up with a Pro Comp 5.5" lift (not that I knew what it was at the time). Although, when I first started seeing FJ's I thought to myself and everyone around me that one day I would have one, so what the hell. I stopped in to just get in one and see if I "fit". Being 6'4" not all vehicles are comfortable to sit in. And WOW plenty of room to spare I was amazed and after talking with the salesman and making him laugh at what I was offering we agreed for me to test drive it for the rest of the day and bring it back tomorrow. Yes I was stoked and he knew he had a sucker on the line.

So here is how it sat on the lot

With it already being modified to some extent I gave it a real good look over sticking my fingers in places that would make a sailor blush. I couldn’t find any mud, dust, sand, grit, or anything other than a bit of soot in the tail pipe. Yes I even checked up in the frame under the bumper skins everywhere I could think of that a detailer might miss. I couldn’t find anything to warn me away from this rig. Anyway the wife and I sat down and figured what we could actually pay for it and went back to the dealership the next day. We settled on a price of $20,500 which I still feel great about.

This began our long slow journey of farther modifying it to suit our needs better one step at a time.

Very first mod was the Scuba Driver and Body mount chop.

Being a geek the first step was to mount up a small netbook that I had laying around the house and having plenty of spare “crap” (so she says). My mount was made.

And then the overhead CB with custom built rear tire antenna mount.

Then enclosed the area above the CB for future switches and popped on a few blue map lights in the process.

Yes it does light up all the way to the back door.

After getting cut off in a parking lot and beeping the horn at someone I was so embarrassed something had to be done.

It took a bit but after meeting some real good ppl here on the forum I received a Baja Rack which was in serious need of repair but it didn’t take much.

After breaking the tabs on the stock air box and finding out the replacement was $600 it was time to upgrade to the TRD CIA.

Now it was time for some trail protection so it was time to call Budbuilt (If you haven’t ever dealt with Bud then I suggest that you do one heck of a good guy with a great product.) He built me a set of his kick out sliders to a custom length to reach far enough forward to cover the area that the body mount used to be in but still be out of the way of the tire.

After scraping pennies for a bit it was time to upgrade the suspension system and start getting rid of the stock pro comp parts.

Now that is done time to start fixing issues that came up during/with the install. The rear lower control arms were impacting the axle housing at full droop so I had to yell STAN (another stand up and will make it right for his customer kind of man.) after much discussion and shipping the rear lower links back and forth we came up with a fix.

Yup pre bent lower control arms.

After thinking about it has been a long time since anyone has sat in the rear seat and all that wasted space time to make better use of it, so out they came and in went the wood.

New parts came in today hopefully to find the time soon to replace this pic with them installed.

Finally able to pick up the UCA that I needed to get my alignment back in specs and WOW what a difference even before putting the alignment heads on the wheels it was an obvious improvement.

Ramps scores to come this weekend to see if it makes any improvement in travel. (Had to back off the ramp as my front brake lines are acting as limiting straps need to get those replaced.)

And that is how it is for now and just like the rest of us the project is never finished and more parts are on the list……

Thanks for taking the time to read thru all of this blabber.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Refinished air damn on my BajaRack

The Goat grew some horns this week...

there are/were some fitment issues to suit my taste they might claim to be complete bolt on.. But if your critical of exactly how you think it should fit the TG Rock defense bumper might not be for you.

Added the Metaltech Red eye rear bumper.

After the wear in period will do some paint on it. But happy with the way it turned out.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Nice blabber. I'm enjoying. I gotta do a build-up thread some day myself. :)

Sweet rig. I almost bought Voodoo Blue--then opted for Black Diamond at the very last second.

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Updated OP

My TC UCA's with hiem joints came in yesterday and I couldn't take it. This is a busy week and even busier weekend so I had to make some time and just carried the rig and parts down to the local alignment shop and had them install and align the rig for me in one shot. At the shop at 2:00 pm and out by 3:45 pm.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
About damned time Forrest... :bigthumb: Glad to see you posting up all your new mods!

Your truck looks great! I hope there is some type of meet & greet or trail ride near your location soon...really want to see all your new mods! :cheers:

If and when you travel to Tampa...as I know you do from time to time...let me know and we can meet up again at Quaker State...I'm buying... wings & Beer :cheers:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah man if I find myself back down that way. The Mrs.'s friends look like they are going to be moving soon so not sure if/when we will be back down. But you know I'll give a shout if I do.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Yeah man if I find myself back down that way. The Mrs.'s friends look like they are going to be moving soon so not sure if/when we will be back down. But you know I'll give a shout if I do.
O.K give me a shout...My Sister is moving from Marianna to Jax...so she needs my help. If I can stay over the night at her place...maybe we can meet half way towards your place and have some dinner and cold ones!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that isn't too far from here. Well right at 112 miles to the exit with the truck stops but still. You get that close and we will come up with something.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got tired of the messed up air dam on my bajarack so stripped and refinished it.

6 coats of glossy black dupi-color and 3 coats of clear coat over the decals.

·
Premium Member
16,957 Posts
Nice build!

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Nice build! Particularly interesting for me because you don't see too many folks posting on how they have gone about tweaking the bigger lifts. Did BajaRack send you new decals when you refinished the air dam?

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They sent me decal of theirs and I had a friend make the other. I would suggest sending the air dam into BajaRack as they suggested to begin with because as I found out the decal is under the clear coat there is no just removing the remaining parts of the sticker and slapping on the new one. So once I started the removal I was committed to a bigger project than what I had intended.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After adding the WP wheel spacer my CB antenna was pushed in towards the rear window to the point I could no longer open it more than 2 inches. So it was time to modify it as well to. Just added a piece to it and covered it with the infamous plasti-dip.

Still wondering how it will work out on the trails here since it raised it up quite a bit but my shop door is 8' and doesn't tweak it so should be good to go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Dusther.... How did you mount the radio mount to the roof. Is there a block behind the headline ? I have a ham radio that I am thinking about mounting. Just not sure what I want to do yet. I don't really want to put it under the passenger seat. It does have a detachable face to mount in a different location , but just don't want it on the floor.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The plate that the radio is mounted to is held in place by the screws on the rear view mirror as well as a 2x4 which is stuck to the roof with double sided tape. It has been there for over 3 years and no issues so far. Here is a brief description.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/70940-overhead-cb-mount.html

and how I mounted the antenna

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...trical/70770-spare-tire-cb-antenna-mount.html

On Birdman's rig we mounted his HAM unit on his MPAC rack in the back and put the remote faceplate on the center console just in front of the transfer shifter.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts