Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read bunch of posts explaining how to take off daytime running lights but I have the exact opposite problem: I want to add them, my 2010 FJ did not come with them. Does anybody know what parts I need to get for this job? Any other pointers and comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,952 Posts
Is they grey connector behind the headlight there?

You know the one everyone is disconnecting.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It should have come with them, my 2008 came with DRLs. You 100 percent sure on this?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have read bunch of posts explaining how to take off daytime running lights but I have the exact opposite problem: I want to add them, my 2010 FJ did not come with them. Does anybody know what parts I need to get for this job? Any other pointers and comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
FJ's that were not factory equipped with DRL's use a different wiring harness and components for the headlight circuit. Retro fitting those pieces will be expensive and more trouble than it's worth. You would need:
1. DRL - resistor
2. DRL - relay and box
3. possibly a new multi-function headlight/turn signal steering wheel switch
4. wiring and connectors to plug all this stuff in

If you want factory I'd look for a wrecked FJ that you can pull what you need.

If all you want is lights that will work for DRL's then go aftermarket and install some Aux lighting and wire it to come on when the ignition is ON. This will cost less than any 1 of the above parts and be much easier to wire up.

·
Premium Member
12,952 Posts
Or you could just leave your head lights on, that's what I do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys, it turns out FJ4RWS is right, I would need all those parts so I will put it on a back burner for now; maybe I will come across some wrecked FJ, like you said.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anybody know if this holds true for the 2012 FJ? This seems kind of involved for what amounted to a $40 option I didn't get. Of course now I'm moving to Canada and I need it. I would really like to go OEM if possible. But, this seems like a huge pain in the a$$.

FJ's that were not factory equipped with DRL's use a different wiring harness and components for the headlight circuit. Retro fitting those pieces will be expensive and more trouble than it's worth. You would need:
1. DRL - resistor
2. DRL - relay and box
3. possibly a new multi-function headlight/turn signal steering wheel switch
4. wiring and connectors to plug all this stuff in

If you want factory I'd look for a wrecked FJ that you can pull what you need.

If all you want is lights that will work for DRL's then go aftermarket and install some Aux lighting and wire it to come on when the ignition is ON. This will cost less than any 1 of the above parts and be much easier to wire up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts