Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has someone found a fastener that will work well with the load bars for the FJ factory rack?
I am looking to put plywood on the load rails and prefer not to drill the rails and bolt but rather find a fastener that will "wrap" around the load bar.
As the load bars are flattened I am not finding something that would work to fasten the plywood down.
My plans are to install the plywood with gas can carriers and maybe a few other items bolted to the plywood.
I can remove the plywood when the items are not needed.

Has anyone tried to adjust the load bars so plywood would lay flat to the road surface and NOT act like a sail/drag brake?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Pat

·
Registered
103 Posts
Has someone found a fastener that will work well with the load bars for the FJ factory rack?
I am looking to put plywood on the load rails and prefer not to drill the rails and bolt but rather find a fastener that will "wrap" around the load bar.
As the load bars are flattened I am not finding something that would work to fasten the plywood down.
My plans are to install the plywood with gas can carriers and maybe a few other items bolted to the plywood.
I can remove the plywood when the items are not needed.

Has anyone tried to adjust the load bars so plywood would lay flat to the road surface and NOT act like a sail/drag brake?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
Pat
You are describing and seems as tho you want a small set of ubolts, that what holds a solid rear axle to lead springs. But smaller.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
muffler clamps. i found some slightly too big and slid rubber tubing over the U bolts. i used a piece of flat rubber under the clamp so nothing scratches the tube. i think the U bolts will be long enough to go through 1/2 ply. i use them to fasten my custom redneck engineered kindorf canoe carrier bars.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try searching Yakima 32H mounts. I think that's the one some use.
Thank you.
I could not tell if these fit the FJ load bars.
With the height of the 32H hopefully it will clear the bar ends and I will only need to drill holes for the thumb screw heads on the bar ends.
I may have messed up and only ordered four brackets as it may be wise with 1/2" OSB to support the middle with a bracket as well.
We will see once they arrive.

Thank you Again

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts