Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Hi Sean
First off thank you very much for the response. That was a lot of really good insight to the lockers available. Helps me make an informed decision. The front differential is a Dana 44 out of a 74 International Scout. Front & rear gear ratios are 4:10. I want to go lower but the Ford 9” rear gear ratio does not appear to match in the lower gear ratio’s to the Dana 44. Basically till I get the gear ratio sorted out I’m at a standstill. If I’m forced to stay with the 4:10’s I’m leaning towards the spool in the rear. I like simple and dependable. Now far as the front Dana 44 goes I understand you recommend the selectable ARB. Makes sense. Strain on the front steering components will be high and the weak link after the 1 ton type high steer kit will be the steering box. Selectable ARB in the front is the best option. Just out of curiosity do you not recommend the auto locker in the front due to difficulty of steering or is it steering component failure? Thanks again for the reply.

I don't recommend a full Detroit up front b/c of the fact that front axle breakage is so common that it will likely damage the Detroit.

The Grizzly sounds like Randy's will warranty any problems, but breaking a front diff is still not fun and getting off the trail might be a real challenge if you break one of those dog clutches and have no front drive.

For a 1/2T front D44, I don't recommend the auto locker b/c, as you said, "component failure".....axles mostly. It also makes steering a lot harder. Not to mention it will put more constant loads on your frame, the steering box, sector shaft, pitman arm, etc.

ARB is your best choice for a front D44 IMO.

HTH,
Sean

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Ram assist? It offloads the steering parts.
That would be a good choice....but for a D44, I'd still say go with an ARB in front. The hydro assist would be the best of both worlds.....but it's not exactly a cheap modification if you buy a matched set up.

Sean

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Great post, as a new guy trying to get into off roading it's nice to see someone that cares and helps others!

Thanks

Thanks. Nice of you to say. :)

Sean

·
Registered
2007 SAS
223 Posts
What can you tell me about using FJ80 axles in my FJC? I'm looking at SAS options....

141 - 148 of 148 Posts