Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need to jack up the front wheel, slide a bar under the wheel & see if there's any up & down play. Is this correct? I'm going to a real mech. tomorrow, but would like the peace of mind tonight. How long will it last before it blows out? What would happen if I'm wheeling @ 60 mph & the bearing blows out? Is there a good chance of death? If so, maybe I should suggest the wife drive the J tonight.:lol::lol::lol: No really, that could be a problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think that's to check ball joint play, I thought you just jack up the front and then grab the tires at the top and bottom and try to see if there's movement. How much movement is tolerated? I am unsure but very minimal movement.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct sir, that is to check balljoint play. I'll give the tire grab a shot today when I get out of my work suit. Tanx:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Let us know how that turns out. I just realized I responded to this question, I think for you, in another thread. If I remember correctly I wasn't thinking and said you could grab it anywhere as long as you were on opposite sides. You do need to be at 12 and 6. My fault for misinforming you earlier. (if that was you)

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
What would happen if I'm wheeling @ 60 mph & the bearing blows out?
I think if you're "wheeling" at 60 MPH, you may have some bigger problems. :jester:

·
Registered
180 Posts
12 and 6 to check the bearings, 9 and 3 to check the tie rods. neither should have any movement.prying up from under the tire checks the ball joints. there shouldn't be any movement when u check any of the three. if any of them are bad they will have a wiggle to it (about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of movement or close to that)

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
Usually bad wheel bearings make plenty of noise as they are going out.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Usually bad wheels bearings make plenty of noise as they are going out.

DEWFPO
X2!
Especially at low speed...like windows down going through a drive-thru.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tray, what I was referring to was driving when I said "wheelin":lol: Ya, I guess off roading at 60 mph would be a little difficult:lol:. I took it to the local dealer (that I hate, totally useless people) & took "Eddie" for a ride. He had no idea what it is. I want into the office & explained that I was in a real tight spot because I had to be in Philly Friday afternoon, (now this is Wednesday morning I'm there), the BooB behind the counter said "Well, we don't stock wheel bearings for FJ's & it'll take a day for it to get here" "Eddie" said he could have it done on Fri. afternoon because it's not that busy in the garage. So the "BooB" made me an appt. for Feb. 1 . WTF? He just said he can have it done Fri., today is Wed., one day for the part= Thursday+ one day to fix= Friday = Happy customer MAXXFJ right? No Feb 1 is the next aval. appt in his little book. Well, I said thank you & now I'm taking my chances driving it the way it is until the 1st. That's why I hate my Dealership, they don't do much in the customer care dept. That guy, BooB, could have pushed it through if he wanted to. Oh, Well...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts