Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

301 - 320 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Greetings,

I have talked to Keith several times and mentioned this to him as I do believe it would be of great benefit to all prospective buyers.

If there were someone who would put their truck on a dyno, run the numbers before and after the BAMuffler Exhaust install, I would think that would be a benefit for all interested in his product.
Also do a MPG on a given stretch at same MPH and compare the outcome.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
163 Posts
Actually I'm about to compare the MPG as I'm going on a 3 hour road trip this weekend. I know before I average around 21 Highway if I keep under 75. I'll post up my results come Monday.

Cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
Actually I'm about to compare the MPG as I'm going on a 3 hour road trip this weekend. I know before I average around 21 Highway if I keep under 75. I'll post up my results come Monday.

Cheers
21 MPG!?!
WOW.....

Can you state if your rig is stock, year model, tire size, 2WD vs. 4WD, AT or MT, Premium fuel or Regular?

·
Registered
163 Posts
21 MPG!?!
WOW.....

Can you state if your rig is stock, year model, tire size, 2WD vs. 4WD, AT or MT, Premium fuel or Regular?
Sure...
I have a 2012 Ice Berg, w/ BFG AT KO 285-70-17, 4WD, I have a ToyTech Ultimate 3" (but not yet installed). Generally I run regular gas but occasionally on road trips I go premium. I don't drive it hard on highways meaning I cruise around 70.

This is my second FJ and I also got about the same on my older 07 which had same tires with OME lift. I noticed on both when I first drove off the lot I got crappy mileage but after a few months it changed for the better. My guess is the on-board computer is learning your driving habits ? I think I read that on this forum awhile back.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sure...
I have a 2012 Ice Berg, w/ BFG AT KO 285-70-17, 4WD, I have a ToyTech Ultimate 3" (but not yet installed). Generally I run regular gas but occasionally on road trips I go premium. I don't drive it hard on highways meaning I cruise around 70.

This is my second FJ and I also got about the same on my older 07 which had same tires with OME lift. I noticed on both when I first drove off the lot I got crappy mileage but after a few months it changed for the better. My guess is the on-board computer is learning your driving habits ? I think I read that on this forum awhile back.

Hope that helps.
THX...didn't mean to hijack the thread!

·
Registered
498 Posts
haha, this thread is for public use and anyone can post anything........oh ya, bump for a great exhaust system:)
Copy that!

Keith, Have you got any takers on doing this?

Greetings,

I have talked to Keith several times and mentioned this to him as I do believe it would be of great benefit to all prospective buyers.

If there were someone who would put their truck on a dyno, run the numbers before and after the BAMuffler Exhaust install, I would think that would be a benefit for all interested in his product.
Also do a MPG on a given stretch at same MPH and compare the outcome.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not yet, wanna volunteer:)
Can't at present, but would love to under an mutual agreement. :)

Anyone that has already installed one and still has the original exhaust, they could possibly run the numbers on a dyno with both installed. :thinkerg:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
If love to see it for sure. I would t expect huge numbers as a catback doesn't usually net huge numbers like headers and full exhaust does. That said, the way the truck drives and feels alone makes it worth it.

Don't believe a manufacturer whom says you get 10-15hp with just a catback. The gains are in the manifolds and cats, if modifying that part of the exhaust isn't an option then just a catback is a great compromise.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
If love to see it for sure. I would t expect huge numbers as a catback doesn't usually net huge numbers like headers and full exhaust does. That said, the way the truck drives and feels alone makes it worth it.

Don't believe a manufacturer whom says you get 10-15hp with just a catback. The gains are in the manifolds and cats, if modifying that part of the exhaust isn't an option then just a catback is a great compromise.
like my BAmufflers test truck, 49HP over stock 89 LB FT TQ over stock!!!

5.7 Tundra, JBA long tubes, BAmufflers=49HP 89LB FT TQ - YouTube

·
Registered
262 Posts
So I noticed the sound clips for the supercharged set up. But is there a sound clip for a bone stock FJ with your system on it? I'm hoping itnis 'throaty' enough without having to get to deep in the wallet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
So I noticed the sound clips for the supercharged set up. But is there a sound clip for a bone stock FJ with your system on it? I'm hoping itnis 'throaty' enough without having to get to deep in the wallet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The sound is very similar on a non supercharged truck. The videos do no justice as well.

As far as throaty, that's the beauty of what we do with BAmufflers, you can request any sound level you want. We make every muffler, and every system specifically for the person that's going to use the vehicle. Completely custom, made to order. For the Fj, any noise level is the same price.

·
Registered
143 Posts
21 MPG!?!
WOW.....

Been driving on my weld on for a year or so now. Several hwy only trips 150 miles or more. I am getting 23 mpg. I have a heavy foot and no patience in traffic. So, there is a bit of WOT while passing and I'm not shy getting up to speed. Prior to Deeds muffler, 19-20. Towing my 4700 lb camp trailer, I'm getting 17. Prior to muffler, was at 13. Except for Deeds muffler, a drop in filter and B3 plugs, its totally stock running on premium. The bigger difference to me was acceleration. Way more on the low end, especially towing.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #315 (Edited)
Been driving on my weld on for a year or so now. Several hwy only trips 150 miles or more. I am getting 23 mpg. I have a heavy foot and no patience in traffic. So, there is a bit of WOT while passing and I'm not shy getting up to speed. Prior to Deeds muffler, 19-20. Towing my 4700 lb camp trailer, I'm getting 17. Prior to muffler, was at 13. Except for Deeds muffler, a drop in filter and B3 plugs, its totally stock running on premium. The bigger difference to me was acceleration. Way more on the low end, especially towing.
that is great information!! thanks for sharing:)

We are less than a week out build time these days. BAmufflers has such an efficient system for building these that build times are very quick:) and quality is better than ever. If you're on the fence about ordering one of these stop searching for the perfect exhaust, you will not ever replace your system because of how it sounds, the perfect sound is built into every custom system one system at a time:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has this group buy happened yet? Either way I'm interested in getting the muffler and tip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey dirtydeeds, I wanted to say thanks for this great thread. I have been following this forum for a long time but only just recently became a member. You answered a lot of questions I had originally but since reading this have also created about 40 more that I wanted to ask. So I guess to help answer the questions I have you probably need to know a little about my FJ. I have a 2007 6MT, TRD SC, AFE CAI, 3IN OME Lift with 285/70/17 Cooper STTs on stock aluminum alloys. I also put a 3in AFE catback exhaust on the FJ as well. I started reading your thread to try and find out what combination of headers, y-pipe, and cats to run on my FJ. Originally I was looking at trying to put some sort of shorty header (JBA) on there and buying after markets cats (perhaps Magnaflow) with a URD y-pipe. I'm from Ohio and bought my FJ in 2010 from Wisconsin so its safe to say that there is a little bit of rust on the existing stock headers. I was concerned that it would be foolish to pay to weld shorty headers to rusty old stock cats. I was looking at shorty headers to keep the power curve of the fj more on the mid to low end with the supercharger. I looked at long tube headers but thought that would push the FJ onto the illegal side of being CARB approved. Since reading your thread I was looking at also switching out my catback for your design but had some specific questions after looking up your specs on metal tech as well. Any recommendations you could make about the headers, y-pipe, and muffler would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the work you put into this thread.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Hey dirtydeeds, I wanted to say thanks for this great thread. I have been following this forum for a long time but only just recently became a member. You answered a lot of questions I had originally but since reading this have also created about 40 more that I wanted to ask. So I guess to help answer the questions I have you probably need to know a little about my FJ. I have a 2007 6MT, TRD SC, AFE CAI, 3IN OME Lift with 285/70/17 Cooper STTs on stock aluminum alloys. I also put a 3in AFE catback exhaust on the FJ as well. I started reading your thread to try and find out what combination of headers, y-pipe, and cats to run on my FJ. Originally I was looking at trying to put some sort of shorty header (JBA) on there and buying after markets cats (perhaps Magnaflow) with a URD y-pipe. I'm from Ohio and bought my FJ in 2010 from Wisconsin so its safe to say that there is a little bit of rust on the existing stock headers. I was concerned that it would be foolish to pay to weld shorty headers to rusty old stock cats. I was looking at shorty headers to keep the power curve of the fj more on the mid to low end with the supercharger. I looked at long tube headers but thought that would push the FJ onto the illegal side of being CARB approved. Since reading your thread I was looking at also switching out my catback for your design but had some specific questions after looking up your specs on metal tech as well. Any recommendations you could make about the headers, y-pipe, and muffler would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the work you put into this thread.
Being a 6mt you can go a little more aggressive on sound. The manual transmission makes the rpm constantly change a lot, instead of just staying at a constant annoying engine speed.

Given the more 'even' firing pattern of a 6cylinder engine versus the uneven firing pattern of a v8, you can go with much smaller tubing diameters on the v6 than you'd need for equal/similar hp levels in a v8.

That said, here is your ultimate combination:

Jba long tube headers

BAmufflers off road y pipe with 12" mufflers in each bank, this y pipe goes behind the transfer case, not under it.

BAmufflers catback, I make a catback specific to the off road y pipe. It is much shorter to compensate for the y pipe which goes behind transfer case.

BAmufflers high tuck tailpipe. All mandrel bent. Ends well before any aftermarket receiver hitch and bumper.

All tubing before Y pipe needs to be the same diameter of the header collector, which is 2 1/4". All tubing after the y pipe needs to be 2 1/2". Any bigger will cause resonance and a 'dead chamber' meaning instead of the exhaust system 'siphoning' itself out, the engine has to pump out the exhaust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks dirtydeeds, but now I have 2 more questions, do you recommend jba over Doug thorley long tubes? I was only looking at the jbas for shorty headers. Also is the long tube setup with y-pipe capable of being street legal in California as I fear I might be moving there for work in the next few years?
Thanks again.

301 - 320 of 327 Posts