Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
The beauty of owning an 07 is its the last year that doesn't need the TPMS sensors. I would have done the hack in a flash if I were 08 or newer :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wanted to bump this again to see if there have been any issues with doing this mod? After reading the thread, I have not seen any. Does it actually disable other lights like traction control, ABS and VSC?

Having just purchased new wheels and tires and one new sensor so far, I want to avoid having to purchase 4 additional new sensors. I plan on keeping the factory wheels assembled to either use or sell.

Thanks!

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,564 Posts
I wanted to bump this again to see if there have been any issues with doing this mod? After reading the thread, I have not seen any. Does it actually disable other lights like traction control, ABS and VSC?

Having just purchased new wheels and tires and one new sensor so far, I want to avoid having to purchase 4 additional new sensors. I plan on keeping the factory wheels assembled to either use or sell.

Thanks!
I did it on my ‘14 when I bougt it new and swapped the wheels straight over...no issues whatsoever and no it only disables the tpms light does not affect anything else

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did it on my ‘14 when I bougt it new and swapped the wheels straight over...no issues whatsoever and no it only disables the tpms light does not affect anything else
Thanks so much. That is enough confirmation for me. This thread actually saved me money!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
845 Posts

Thanks!
Thanks for the bump, reminded me I needed to do this too. After a year and a half of looking at that light it was time. Glad to be rid of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would just like to Manually set my TPMS pressure to lower than what it says on the door jamb. Does anyone know how to do that?

·
Registered
716 Posts
No "MOD" is needed on this....The dealer can simply hook up to your OBD2 port and disable the TPMS system in less than a minute. I have the software, they should, too.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would just like to Manually set my TPMS pressure to lower than what it says on the door jamb. Does anyone know how to do that?
Anyone with the proper Toyota software can adjust the parameters. Whether or not the dealer is willing to do that for you is another thing, they will probably quote some safety blah blah blah, but the software is available on certain well known bidding sites.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No "MOD" is needed on this....The dealer can simply hook up to your OBD2 port and disable the TPMS system in less than a minute. I have the software, they should, too.

Are you saying Techstream can disable the TPMS from working? Last time I checked, I could only change ids. Please teach me Obiwan :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Are you saying Techstream can disable the TPMS from working? Last time I checked, I could only change ids. Please teach me Obiwan :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was sure it was in techstream somewhere, but I also have another much more intrusive unit I use for resetting locked airbag computers, and I know for a fact you can change settings with that one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
what gauge wire are we dealing with here? that's critical info for determining the correct size tap.

i cant continue riding around with 45 psi in my tires...
Hey fellow Georgian, just on the off chance that you (or anyone else) is still wondering this... I don't know what gauge wire these are, but I used a 14-18 gauge quick splice that I picked up at Advance for a couple bucks, and it worked perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks Everyone
Did this, this morning on my 2011 FJ
A couple of things to make it perfectly clear
Glove box lifts up from hinged side closest to window.
I used 1 red scotchlock to connect both wires. You'll need to peel some of the black tape back to gain slack on wires
Red = 18-22awg Blue = 18-16awg Either will work
Upon first test the TPMS light comes on and goes thru the cycle then goes completely off, Forever!
I was hesitant when it first came on, thought I messed up, then I turned off ignition, restarted and no TPMS light on restart.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wanted to thank the OP and others for posting pictures. This worked like a charm. I used posi-taps - they have a little needle that punctures the harness wires. Figured it would be easier to reverse this mod if needed. Used exacto knife to carefully peel away some of the electrical tape. Connected pink/black to the red/blue(spiderman colors). There were two of these red/blue wires. Its the one closer to the corner of the harness. I also added picture of the underside of the glovebox. As others have said, wedge a pry tool in the middle and wiggle the box upwards to remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive had the tpms light on for years, and just ignored it. but i was diving behind my dash today cutting wires to permanantly disable all the abs / trac / vsc warning lights and thought i'd get rid of that ****ing tpms light at the same time.

instructions -

1. unscrew drivers side glovebox and remove (if you dont know how, stop here, search, and then come back)
2. your left with two harness connectors going into the top of the instrumet cluster. the one on the left (driver) is plug (A) and the one on the right is plug (B). we need plug (A)
3. the tpms wire is A32. it is pink with a black stripe. you'll find it on the row of wires closest to the driver position, far left on plug A.

this wire needs a constant 12v to turn it off and trick the system into thinking everythings peachy. either using a scotch lok or, as i did, strip insulation and soldering, you need to connect the tpms wire A32 with the red/blue stripe wire located on the same plug (position A17, same row as A32 wire, opposite side of the plug) Do not cut either wire, just tie them in together so that the A32 shares A17s IGN+ signal.

if youve done it right, the tpms light goes out and you'll never see it again. if you've done it wrong, thats your problem. grab another beer and proceed to step 1.
Wow. My TPSM light came on yesterday. Blinked on/off for 60 seconds, then went solid. Tried Advance autoparts and Firestone- they confirmed no way to use a scanner or otherwise disconnect system. Both pointed me to Toyota dealership. They told me to drop the car off, diagnostic to isolate bad sensor $100. Replacement of bad sensor $90 (plus the time and inconvenience of taking it there. They said there is a way to bipass hte system and estimated cost at >$500.

Founf TCruiser!'s thread. $3.99 spent at Ace for some 18 guage scotchloks. Literally 7 minutes to remove driver's storage box, identify the two wires- pink/black & blue/red, install the scotchlok, replace the storage box... and DONE!!!! 7 minutes and $4 people. TCRUIser! for PRESIDENT!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I found this and Prius2FJ had great pics, thank you buddy. I have a 2010 and one or more of mine finally gave up battery life. I got the same Posi-taps from Amazon and did the mod in probably less than 10 minute. Saved me well over 400 bucks from discount tire and even more from a dealer. Tpms.com has 5 for around 130.00 but still have to pay to get them installed and programed and what if they had one or all not work? Glad I found this and for the one that originally found this ?. Easy way to get box out is just grab each hinge and pull up and towards you once two screws are remove, pops right out. Also it will be the connector on the left and both the pink with black and red with blue are on the opposite ends of that connection. Never used posi-taps prior but they sure work great. ?

121 - 140 of 146 Posts