Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I need instruction and pic of how to drain and fill transmission fluid.
It's quite simple. Remove both plugs on the bottom of your transmission pan. One is the drain and the other is the overflow for checking the fluid level. Then after it's drained <less that 4 quarts> you fill it from a fill plug on the passenger side until it runs out the check plug on the bottom. Now if you want a step by step guide with pictures just do a search as there are a couple of them here in the archives

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
The problem with DIY is that doesnt it only get a small portion of the fluid drained?? I was under the impression you need to have the equipment to really flush it properly.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
The problem with DIY is that doesnt it only get a small portion of the fluid drained?? I was under the impression you need to have the equipment to really flush it properly.
You do not need a machine to flush your fluid, you can do it at home with nothing more than long section of tubing, a funnel, a drain pan..... and at least 12 qts of the correct ATF.

These transmissions don't have a dipstick but they are by no means "sealed" or "unserviceable".

DEWFPO

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
You do not need a machine to flush your fluid, you can do it at home with nothing more than long section of tubing, a funnel, a drain pa,..... and at least 12 qts of the correct ATF.

These transmissions don't have a dipstick but they are by no means "sealed" or "unserviceable".

DEWFPO
I have already done it this way. Works like a charm. Its as easy as changing oil and its going to take about 15 qts to flush it back to new fluid. I do this every 50K

·
Registered
961 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Does anyone know which line at the transmission is the cooler return line?

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
The return line is the lower line (at the radiator). To swap fluids, you just need to remove the upper cooler line at the radiator.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The return line is the lower line (at the radiator). To swap fluids, you just need to remove the upper cooler line at the radiator.

DEWFPO
Did you mean lower?

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Did you mean lower?
Actually, no. I just found it easier to disconnect the upper line instead of the lower line. It works the same but in reverse order. The ATF comes out of the upper line from the trans.

Thanks for asking, I should have made that clearer in my previous post.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Actually, no. I just found it easier to disconnect the upper line instead of the lower line. It works the same but in reverse order. The ATF comes out of the upper line from the trans.

DEWFPO
Thanks. Ya it seems to me that last time I did this whichever end I disconnected the other one sprayed fluid out when I turned over the engine.

·
Registered
67 Posts

DEWFPO
So, getting ready to do this in the morning, you're saying you can use the upper or lower line to drain?
Also, any pic of this line would be awesome as all these posts are old and pics taken down. I read the entire 25 page instructional debate thread on this. No more pics but one fella recently posted a pic of the upper & lower and he sounded as confused as me but noone ever
replied to him...???.. Thx!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
So, getting ready to do this in the morning, you're saying you can use the upper or lower line to drain?
Also, any pic of this line would be awesome as all these posts are old and pics taken down. I read the entire 25 page instructional debate thread on this. No more pics but one fella recently posted a pic of the upper & lower and he sounded as confused as me but noone ever
replied to him...???.. Thx!
I used the upper hose. Just look at the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side. You will see them on the lower left corner on the side facing the engine. Pull the hose off and push a short hose on it and shove it in a empty bottle. Do your thing. Super easy to do. :)

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
I used the upper hose. Just look at the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side. You will see them on the lower left corner on the side facing the engine. Pull the hose off and push a short hose on it and shove it in a empty bottle. Do your thing. Super easy to do. :)
Exactly, there's only 2 hoses coming out of the side tank. Either one works, the top one is easier to get to.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok, I just did it tonight, all went well EXCEPT... after tough part done...,

brought the trans to 115' , then pulled the overflow plug, like 2 drops came out, I of course sighed... ****, I need a trickle.. Already thinking I'm gonna have to go to the store on the morning for at least 1 quart so I can get a trickle.. BTW, my swap was almost exactly 12 qts out & 12 qts in to start with, but no trickle.

I shut the truck off & sighed again, then I heard a flow, oh ****! Ran around the truck (after shutting her off remember) and saw the flow going to my bucket. Immediately threw the check plug back on, lost approximately 1/2 quart here.

Suggestions??? Please...

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
Since you had flow coming out of the check tube, just not enough, and you lost about 1/2 qt. Then 1 qt should be enough but I'd get 2 just in case.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, the 1 quart did it!
Added 1 in this morning, brought to temp, left running, pulled check plug & about 1/3 quart came out fast, then maybe a little more slow flow, once it was trickling for about a minute, closed her up!

All total, pretty much 13 out & 13 in. Seems to be much smoother, can't believe they recommend not servicing. I could tell I was the 1st to move all the plugs on this 2010 with 92k miles.

This thing had impeccable service records but this had not been done, glad I did, thank you all so much for the many write-ups!

My 1 tip, if you use the lower line, hook your drain hose to the rubber hose not the metal nipple..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Question. If you drain and refill the pan with new fluid would that take less fluid in the long run by not contaminating the new fluid you put in after pumping out 2 qts. Starting with a pan of fresh clean fluid vs a pan full of old fluid. Just asking cause I'm about to do the procedure in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Question. If you drain and refill the pan with new fluid would that take less fluid in the long run by not contaminating the new fluid you put in after pumping out 2 qts. Starting with a pan of fresh clean fluid vs a pan full of old fluid. Just asking cause I'm about to do the procedure in the next few days.
No....I think a flush would take less but I cant swear by it. Every time you do a pan drain, you are replacing roughly 1/3rd of the fluid with fresh...and then it mixes thoroughly with 2/3rd that are "contaminated". And then when you do a pan/drain and fill again you are replacing 1/3rd of the transmission fluid that is 33% less 'contaminated' than before.

It all depends when you are doing the flush methodology, how much of the new stuff you just put into the pan gets picked up and pumped out to the radiator. From what I gather, it seems mostly old fluid is being drained from the lines near the radiator.

For me, I do a yearly pan drain and fill, because I want to stay up on keeping it fresh and I bought mine new. And, I use Valvoline MaxLife ATF which costs about $18 at WalMart for a gallon, so I dont worry about the pan drain/fill being as effective with removing the old fluid.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts