Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I did this I warm drain and filled twice ( 3 qts each time) and then dropped the pan. When I dropped the pan I did a cold drain and alittle over 5 qts came out. I purchased a case of ws fluid and I have a 1 qt left, fluid looks new now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No. Maybe I explained it wrong. Start by just draining the pan and replacing fluid. Before cranking it up remove the return line from the radiator and start the flush as normal without letting the new fluid in the pan mix with the rest of the old fluid.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
No. Maybe I explained it wrong. Start by just draining the pan and replacing fluid. Before cranking it up remove the return line from the radiator and start the flush as normal without letting the new fluid in the pan mix with the rest of the old fluid.
aah....i see what you are saying. Makes some sense to start with fresh in the pan while you are doing the flush from trans lines going in/out of radiator. I say give it a try.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried it and it seemed to do great. I recently bought a 2007 fj and tried to check to see if it had shudder. Didn't fill any but u had heard it was around 45 to 50mph where it showed up
About 3 weeks I starting noticing shudder around 36 to 42 mph only in overdrive. If you light footed it and keep it in od up a small inclined at 38 to 42 it would shake the whole fj, rpms around 1100. Changed the fluid, it had 132000 miles on it. Looked like oil. Now the shudder is all but gone. Very very little at 42 mph up small hill in od. If you didn't know what to look for you would neve notice it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
did you do a full flush or just a pan drain? Assuming you just did a pan drain and refill (e.g. see the catch pan -- or paint tray), you may want to run for a couple weeks and then do another pan drain/fill....for a total of 3 to 4 times. May eliminate the shudder all together.

are you using Toyota WS fluid or the Valvoline MaxLife ATF (WS equivalent)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I started with draining the pan and refilling with Toyota ws. Without cranking I removed the bottom radiator line and started the Pump 2 out and add 2 procedure. It cleaned up good at around 10qts. But I wound up using.right at 14 in the end. Im really satisfied with the results. You have to try and make it shudder and it's only about a 3 mph zone around 42mph only in overdrive and only pulling a little incline. If you didn't know exactly how to make it do it you would never experience it. Maybe it will last a while. The fluid sure was dark.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts