Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have wanted an FJ or Jeep for a while. I am ready to get one but the have some wife issues. Give me your opinion. I have a wife a 4 yr old and a 19 month old who will go wheelin with us. Here is the wife issue.

1 She likes the fj, but moreso likes the air conditioning for herself and our kids. I told her "I am not sure it is really cool to wheel with the air on, overheating, not breathing fresh air etc. "

2. I love the fj, but my property is rocky and tight with trees and scrub and i am sure it will get scratched. I am kindof leaning towards a jeep, which is cheaper and I am not so concerned with scratching.

What do you guys think?
Robert

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would consider a 4 Door Jeep or a Tacoma or 4 Runner, if you are wanting to have your whole family in the rig. IMHO, the FJC is really a two person vehicle, as the Jeep 2 door is also, with room in the back seat for extra when needed. If I had a wife and 2 children, I would probably sell my FJC and get something with 4 doors like a JK Unlimited or Toyota Tacoma.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would consider a 4 Door Jeep or a Tacoma or 4 Runner, if you are wanting to have your whole family in the rig. IMHO, the FJC is really a two person vehicle, as the Jeep 2 door is also, with room in the back seat for extra when needed. If I had a wife and 2 children, I would probably sell my FJC and get something with 4 doors like a JK Unlimited or Toyota Tacoma.
I agree.

I bought a Land Cruiser for the extra room.

·
Registered
483 Posts
id get the jeep, theres a lot more room in the 4 door, the fj is great and comfortable but only for 2 people, your 4 year old is going to grow up fast so youre gunna need all the room you can get

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I don't agree, I take my 3 kiddos in the fj now 9, 7, and 5... we're extremely safe, and have a great time. :) Scratching will happen to any vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I wheeled the Kokopelli trail (120mi) out in Moab with the Family and had the AC on the whole time. So I wouldn't worry about that too much.
I also have a wife, 4.5yr old and a 1.5yr old. We all fit fine.
Us and the 3 kiddos wouldn't survive the kokopelli if we didn't have the AC on :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
7 and 5 here and agree we Athena. There is plenty of room and by the time their to big they will have friends or a 4x4 of their own.

I define my abilities of being a good dad to the extreme that my kids want to hang out with dad when their in high school and college because I give good advice and know how to have fun as a role model and father.

My FJ grows on me more and more everyday and Ive had it about 100 days:) You guys ready for the next 100 days. LOL

·
Registered
449 Posts
FJ bro... i dont have a wife or kids, but wheeling with 3 of my buddies last summer was a blast in the FJ... only complaint was the rear windows dont roll down.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Google "death wobble", then go buy an FJ. I have a 2008 Jeep JK now, and its the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think is great for families. I have a 9 year old and I often take her friends out on the FJ for up to a couple hour drives. It had not being a problem. I think what I like is that they are save back there. There is no imaginable way kids can open a door. And my daughter loves the FJ.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
FJ all the way.....most reliable and safest vehicle of those mentioned. Also, I have 4 and 5 year old and we fit fine, could use some more gear though (4runner has a bit more). Not to mention the Tacoma back seat has less room than the FJ and the 4Runner is about the same. I have had all three at one point or another.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I have driven the FJ with the AC on, 85 miles an hour for several hours and in the desert at 110 degrees wheeling it hard, the temperature gauge never moves.

Seriously I thought it was broken at first.

It is super cold as well, I often have to turn the temp up on the AC because it's too freezing.

it's awesome to be wheeling in Moab when it's 110 out with the windows rolled up, the AC on and the tunes playing load.

My FJ is Yellow, and it is very difficult to even see the scratches on it. I have scratch the living hell out of it and you can barely tell.

You can see the scratches on the mirrors and the black vinyl around the windows, but seriously it's like magic on the yellow color (might be the same on the white I suspect).

The FJ's reliability would make it the choice for me again, especially over the Jeep (nearly 100K on it now - no issues at all).

-

·
Registered
838 Posts
Fj for a lot of the above, after you learn how to get in the doors are fine, The AC will freeze you out and everyone is comfortable and safe. Toyota is easily the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, That is why I even buy them for the wife and kids. 7 in total and would buy another

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread I thought I was going to get some marital advise............kind of disappointed. Oh by the way ...forget the Jeep, and and get an FJ. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I have wheeled with the AC on, the only time I had an issue was when I failed to clean the radiator properly, the temp gauge spiked. So I had to turn on the heater to dump the heat.

As far interior space with kids, it all depends on how tall you and the wife are and how far back you keep the seats in the FJ.
A friend of mine did end up trading there FJ in for a 4Runner. He is 6'5" and she is 5'8"
so the kids were a little cramped.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I have driven the FJ with the AC on, 85 miles an hour for several hours and in the desert at 110 degrees wheeling it hard, the temperature gauge never moves.

Seriously I thought it was broken at first.

It is super cold as well, I often have to turn the temp up on the AC because it's too freezing.

it's awesome to be wheeling in Moab when it's 110 out with the windows rolled up, the AC on and the tunes playing load.

My FJ is Yellow, and it is very difficult to even see the scratches on it. I have scratch the living hell out of it and you can barely tell.

You can see the scratches on the mirrors and the black vinyl around the windows, but seriously it's like magic on the yellow color (might be the same on the white I suspect).

The FJ's reliability would make it the choice for me again, especially over the Jeep (nearly 100K on it now - no issues at all).

-
X2, Last year our group in Moab got a kick out of laffing at.the heeps and H1's sweating their a$$ off while we were chillin with the A/C.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts