Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my 08 TT edition about a week ago, and the dealer detailed it really nice for me. It had smelled bad like cig smoke inside from the previous owner, so they seemed to have gotten it all out. It smelled great for 3-4 days, but then the smell returned.

Any advice? I was wondering if maybe I should shampoo the headliner. I don't know if that is safe though, since there are all kinds of wires and stuff hidden under it I'm guessing? Also was considering shampoo'ing the seats. This is the first car I've ever had that doesn't have leather seats, so I'm hoping that I am not going to regret it. I'm concerned that these seats may have sucked up the smell from the previous owner, and it might be really tough to get out now.

Any tips?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Wet Dog! No I'd use Febreeze and a fan to move the air around out an open window. Or take up a pipe or cigars.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'd run a hot water extractor over the seats with some pre treatment. Autogeek also has some odor removal stuff that works great.

I doubt the dealer detailed the inside worth a darn. Prob just sprayed it down with armorall, vacuumed it, and sprayed some "smelly good" around.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rent a air ozonator something like this High-Power, Portable Ozone Generator for Rent I did this when I had some mold smell in my old chevy truck
Ozone is a really strong oxidant. I wouldn't recommend using it for a really long time. Can be hard on certain materials and electronics. Make sure everything is really dry if you use one as well.

I have an ozone generator and it will help with many odors and things like mold (oxidizes them). Cigarette smoke can be tricky because you end up with teeny little oil droplets everywhere so the smells tend to come back.

Take out the cabin filter during treatment and don't forget that the odors will be through all the ductwork of your ventilation system (ozone treatment may help there).

TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) could help remove the oil droplets on hard sufaces. Dissolve in water, wipe all over and repeat. Will have to rinse off the residue a few times afterwards probably. Can get it at a hardware store and it's cheap. Often used on walls in houses to remove the cigarette oils before painting.

My guess is it will be hard to get rid of and will require several different approaches to get rid of the smells. Seats might be tricky. Good tips on some of those links as well.

Good luck.
Jon

·
Registered
790 Posts
Same thing happened on a used car I purchased. Looked and smelled great for a week then a strong wet dog smell appeared as the "new car perfume" wore off. I used a product that uses Chlorine Dioxide. It came in a small packet which you add small amount of water to it and let it sit in the car for 12+ hours. One pack knocked out 90% of the smell out. I plan on doing another dose soon with the A/C fan blower running.

Vaccine Quick Release– Car Odor Eliminator – Biocide Systems

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did the following after talking to some detailers and researching on the net:

1. Wet vac the seats w a stain vacuum, green machine or hand carpet cleaner...do it twide. All seats.

2. Wet vac the headliner ( risky w the speakers but worked for me w no damage...twice).

3. Change out unterior filter.

4. Use tire cleaner/shine on all the hard plastic (be careful), does miracles, include headrests.

5. Take an entire can of Ozium, run thr car w fans full blast recirculate for 15 minutes emptying entire can inside car (set fan on high w AC recircukate, stick your arm in, spray the can, close it up for 15.

6. Three or four towels soaked in vinigar placed throughtout rig (put towels inside open container so they dont sit on the interior materials.

7. Every chance you get, run the fan on high with the windows open some, AC and non AC.

Net of all that, it will be better, an occasional minor smell will linger on hot days, but get better over time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
And as referenced, ozone machines are really tricky. You can damage interior plastics and electronics.

Plus, there just seems to be something f'd up in my mind to be intentionally producing ozone these days.

Grand scheme of things kinda minor but seems like I owe something back for my 20 MPG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same thing on my 4runner. I ran an ozone generator overnight. It had a chlorine smell to it the next morning, but I just opened the windows and let it air out for about an hour. I would suggest also, to get the upholstry and headliner cleaned. Sometimes that can be the source of the residual smell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had this exact same problem when I bought my FJC. It smelled fine for about 3-4 days then the smoke came back on a hot day. I'm cheap so I got on google and started reading. There were several posts about the ozone things there were some about vinegar but I drive my FJ so I didn't want to end up spilling something and having to clean up another smell I don't like. I came across another one that said to put coffie grounds in cups and place them throughout the vehicle. Again I'm cheap and this actually seemed logical to me. The coffie grounds absorb the smell that is around it and it also gives off a somewhat plesent smell. I let it sit in my FJ for a few days and it's been almost a year and no more smoke smell on occasion you will get a hint of it but not too bad. Also every time I clean the inside I take a bottle of Febreze for cars and spray the seats and floormats. It worked for me and it's a fairly cheap and very easy alternative than some other things. Hope it helps.

Jake

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far I think I'm winning the battle. I've been spraying Ozium in there every night before bed and leaving it locked in there all night. That stuff is no joke, I think it's really working. I won't know for maybe a week though if the smell will return!

I also did a complete detail as many suggested above, going over every single surface and wiping it down with armorall, etc...

The only thing I haven't done yet has been to shampoo the seats, mainly because I just don't want to deal with wet seats as I need to drive my truck to work this week, etc... That may be my last option though, and if so I'll do it over a weekend!

- Hakrjak

·
Registered
483 Posts
they used charcoal bricks all dealerships and body shops use them to get smells out like paint smoke poop piss mold piss and poop

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm using a product called 'wonder wafers', they're small (about the size of a book of matches, but thin) air fresheners. I found one in a used car I bought several years ago and liked the light aroma so much I bought a 200ct package, I think it was about $30 shipped.

Just lay one under one of the seats, depending on your personal preference you can change it once a month or every couple months (it would depend on how aromatic you want it) - I don't like strong scents of anything. You may want to start out with one under the front seat and one in the cargo area. I personally bought the 'clean car' aroma, I don't need magnolias, cinnamon or pina colada floating around my truck :rofl:

Web address is airfresheners.net

Jerry:cheers:

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,555 Posts
When I am hunting, I occasionally smoke in my car, I've noticed fox urine sprayed on a cloth, really hides the cig smoke. My wife never realizes I've been smoking in the car, but it's not exactly that new car smell.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts