Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
More recent EDIT (But still, fvck Photobucket): Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/ff7IVnu

EDIT: Fvck you Photobucket. This is a link to the album at least. http://s13.photobucket.com/user/iwashmycar/library/Discovery Console

I would like to begin that all credit for this mod goes to FJXplor.

He posted his up and I just had to give it a shot. The following link is his quick explanation which I went off of:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/83363-unique-mods-post-your-pix-here-50.html#post2223679

I also used SwissArmy's how-to on auxiliary dome light wiring:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/15600-overhead-map-light-install-lots-pics-details.html#post254673

Adding another dome light is completely optional.

Started by finding a console from a 96-02? Land Rover Discovery. I found it at the local Pull-A-Part for $17.XX! Don't be discouraged if it looks really beige or brown... It actually matches the FJ very well.

Here is what I started with:

Here are parts I got from Lowes. The shallow anchors (made for hollow-core doors (1/8"-1/4")), washers, and the hole plugs. More on these below...

First thing is first... Get your Dremel with cut-off wheel, or whatever you like to use, and start cutting:
I had cut the space for the rear-view mirror so I could test fit. The sides were still in the way, so off they came:

Cleaned up the cuts best I could with a Dremel sanding wheel, and foam sanding blocks from Lowes:

Now the sides. I made a cut, but a test-fit revealed I needed to take off more. In retrospect I should have kept more of the high side in front of the hole (see pics):

See how the high-side is a little far from the headliner?:

EDIT: I would cut it like the following, then adjust based on the headliner curve. Should keep it closer this way:

After the initial cuts I did a LOT of shaping and testing over and over again for a closer fit:

The console has feet that used to go up to the Land Rover's roof structure through the headliner... Ours will sit ON the headliner, so the feet must be trimmed flush:

Now I will go on to roof mounting. I will show the dome light later since it isn't necessary.

Hold the console up to the roof. With the visors up it sort of has a 'sweet spot' it likes to sit in. You will need to use a little screwdriver, awl, or pointy object to mark the hole locations.: (NO PIC)

You will then punch the holes for the mounting anchors. I first used a small screwdriver, then the big one pictured below:

Insert the anchors: (after you push it in they come with a little plunger you need to push into them to set them (instructions on bag)

Anchors!.. I used tape to mark the front location of the console to keep it straight:

Reactions: thane

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok now you have a bunch of holes in your roof, and a console trimmed and pretty.

Now you can screw it up there if you are done modifying it (Dome Light explained further below):

Since the holes in the console are tapered the washer will grab the walls of the holes and hold it up there. On some of the larger front holes my washers were not snug enough... I just wrapped them around a few time with electrical tape to make them fatter and punched the screw through... They are now holding well. (NO PIC)

EDIT - instead of washers

Instead of using thin washers, I used M5 flange nuts as spacers for the mounting screws.

I found the 1/2" hole plugs found at Lowes fit the smaller holes perfectly. For the larger ones (the ones you see) I wrapped about 12" of electrical tape around them and folded it over, thus making them fatter to fit the larger holes. I painted them with a few spray paints trying to match it up. In the end it was a Satin Almond over Dark Charcoal. You may want to grab the black plugs if you dont want to paint, or are using a lighter paint like I did:

Taped:

Done:

If you choose to cut in a dome light this is where the REAL fun begins....

Im sure any console should come with one (the part we cut off earlier)

I took it apart to see how it was wired and decided to paint it silver since you could kind of see into it and it looked pretty bad. These are the 'guts'...Taped off the switch connection area:

I cut a hole to fit it with the Dremel. I dont have pics of the hole sadly, but it is pretty obvious when you look at the light... Heck, you could install any dome light you want probably.

Put it back together.....I attached it to the console with little tiny screws which will hide under the plastic cover. I didnt want to bother with epoxies:

All the wiring is based on SwissArmy's thread linked in the first post above.
There are 3 wires on the Disco dome light (may vary by year I assume)... a solid purple, purple with line, and black. I wired ground to black, the FJ's door power wire to the purple with line, and then the constant to the solid purple.

Let there be light!!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The following are mainly pics of the fit. It is close but not perfect.

The GPS is currently just stuck in place with emblem tape for now. I plan to hard-wire a lighter outlet into the A-Pillar eventually.... but hey, still works on battery for now, and I can reach up behind to plug in.

I think I may run out to the junk yard again to that same Discovery and find some interior plastic large enough to form a backing plate since you can see up in there if you try:

Driver side trimming:

Passenger side:

Various shots:

i(didn't)washmycar

**EDIT** Continued - made a finish panel for back here ---> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/tech-articles-staging-area/150606-how-install-land-rover-discovery-overhead-console-w-dome-light.html#post2230592

-

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
:clap:I originally saw FJXplor post and thought this was something I've been wanting and waiting for (Overhead) console...What a great mod it is and to find another vehicles console that can be modded to work is awesome. Thank you for taking this one step further and adding much greater detail to this Mod.

Now I'm searchin for this console so I can do the same!:clap::cheers::rocker:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I always thought about doing this in the FJ. I like the little storage bins up there. Discos have a very unique interior that i am really fond of.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Looks very good. I will seriously consider this mod in the future. It looks great. Thanks for the write up.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
mine came in today, havent unboxed it yet...
I'm thinking about the 2M radio going up into the center flat area.
Are there any pics of what is behind the headliner in there?

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up cutting out a 2.5"x4" hole above that dome light to find my fished wire. I saw nothing. everywhere I poked with a screwdriver for the mounting holes and that dome light hole revealed nothing at all. solid 1.75-2" of clearance to the roof skin it seems.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Looks great- dare I say almost factory! Nice write up- I know those are a PITA to do since you have to stop and take tons of pics along the way.

Now you have to find something else that will sit on your dash and block your view since the GPS is mounted out of the way:lol:

Looks great!:D

:cheers:

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
It's good to see a Discovery is good for something;)

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
mine came in today, havent unboxed it yet...
I'm thinking about the 2M radio going up into the center flat area.
Keep in mind, when this is attached to the Land Rover, it is actually attached to the metal roof.

I would be weary of putting anything heavy up there since it is just attached to the headliner. I have removed and recovered plenty of headliners. They are not very strong. For what the OP has mounted and storing light items like maps, it will suffice.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
very cool. nice job.

mike

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would change 2 things;
1. SMD LED dome lights x 3
2. take them from a Discovery that had grey interior (I am picky)

Other than those changes I think it is a great mod 2x:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Keep in mind, when this is attached to the Land Rover, it is actually attached to the metal roof.

I would be weary of putting anything heavy up there since it is just attached to the headliner. I have removed and recovered plenty of headliners. They are not very strong. For what the OP has mounted and storing light items like maps, it will suffice.
Yeah. while it feels pretty strong, anything at all heavy should be anchored with something like the 2X4 mod up above.

Like in this link:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/80225-overhead-console-pics-above-headliner.html#post1304105

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I ended up cutting out a 2.5"x4" hole above that dome light to find my fished wire. I saw nothing. everywhere I poked with a screwdriver for the mounting holes and that dome light hole revealed nothing at all. solid 1.75-2" of clearance to the roof skin it seems.
Thanks.. Any suggestions on how to get a cleaner fit on the outer ends?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I would like to begin that all credit for this mod goes to FJXplor.

He posted his up and I just had to give it a shot. The following link is his quick explanation which I went off of:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/83363-unique-mods-post-your-pix-here-50.html#post2223679

I also used SwissArmy's how-to on auxiliary dome light wiring:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/15600-overhead-map-light-install-lots-pics-details.html#post254673

Adding another dome light is completely optional.
Very nice write-up and thanks for the props! Looks excellent - I'm gonna have to re-do mine now! Really nice work.

:rocker:

·
Premium Member
16,660 Posts
Looks nice! Great write-up and pics. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts