Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you interested in replacing those paper 6x9 speakers in the doors with some real speakers (without using an amp and leaving the factory wiring intact), here's an easy how-to so you can get the job done easily and quickly.

I used the factory housing and replaced the speakers with Infinity Reference 9633cf 6x9 speakers. I love them. Very clear. Makes me want to re-burn all my CDs in 256bit MP3s to see what I've been missing. :bigthumb:

Step 1: Remove the door cover (click here to check out Land Cruiser Steve's excellent tutorial)

Step 2: Disconnect the speaker wire, use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the speaker from the door, and then use a knife to cut out the speaker from the housing

Step 3: Remove the back plastic support from the housing. I like to use tin snips for this job

Step 4: Set up wiring. You have two options here - solder wires to the factory connector:

Or remove the factory connector and use Crutchfield Toyota speaker harness (which will NOT snap into the factory housing, but will simply hang loose)

Step 5: Reattach the housing to the door and then pre-drill holes through both the plastic and the sheet metal in the four corners for a machine screw. I used 2.5" #10 sheet metal screws and pre-drilled the holes with a 9/16" drill bit

Step 6: Attach the speaker wires and then screw the four corners in

Step 7: Reattach the door and rock out :rocker:

I hope this helps people out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
very nice sir! big change in sound???

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, these are great speakers, but you should be able to do this mod with about any 6x9 speaker.

·
Registered
130 Posts
while i don't agree with putting coax's in when you have install locations for components, or i guess i don't agree with coax's at all, it was a nice write up though. very detailed and informative. thanks for taking the time to snap some pics as this will help others for sure

·
Registered
124 Posts
This was very helpful for me when doing the switch so thank you very much for the great write up.

After I had followed these steps on the first door, I left the stock speaker attached to the door when cutting everything out to use as a mount on the second door. Saved a little time.

Also, I had to cut out the speaker shaped ring on the inside of the door panel to make it snap back into place properly over my new speakers.

Sound is much better!!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
did you need an additional amp for these speakers or was factory power sufficient enough?

·
Registered
141 Posts
did you need an additional amp for these speakers or was factory power sufficient enough?
I installed a pair of Pioneer 4-way 6x9's using the above method ($69 from Wally World) with no additional amplification. The FJammer drives them just fine and the sound is light years better than the stock speakers. You will be pleased with the results!

·
Registered
920 Posts
This was very helpful for me when doing the switch so thank you very much for the great write up.

After I had followed these steps on the first door, I left the stock speaker attached to the door when cutting everything out to use as a mount on the second door. Saved a little time.

Also, I had to cut out the speaker shaped ring on the inside of the door panel to make it snap back into place properly over my new speakers.

Sound is much better!!
I second this... Very helpful post. I also needed to use a very sharp knife to carefully trim the ring on inside door panel. It wouldn't quite snap back on until I gave it some breathing room.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Infinity speakers :rocker: i will do mine with:
KAPPA32.9CF speakers in dash and rear pillars, 6x9 KAPPA693.9I
what do think with my chose???

thnx also for info

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm really glad this has helped so many people out. I feels good to give back something to a forum that has been priceless to me.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
That would actually be a great color option for the 2011 FJC, particularly for us Longhorn fans....

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Infinity speakers :rocker: i will do mine with:
KAPPA32.9CF speakers in dash and rear pillars, 6x9 KAPPA693.9I
what do think with my chose???

thnx also for info
Same setup I've been toying with, except with the 2-way Kappa 6x9s. I figure that them being at my feet, and the 3.5s in the dash, I won't hear an advantage from the 3-way setup. I've also considered doing 6.5 components up front, as it's just about the same price as the 6x9s plus 3.5s.

I've heard the kappas sound kind of like Alpine's, with good overall sound and excellent low-end, and that the Reference line has better mid and high range production, but very little low end. Since I have the factory sub, and I don't need a lot of bass, I'm now considering going with the Reference series.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same setup I've been toying with, except with the 2-way Kappa 6x9s. I figure that them being at my feet, and the 3.5s in the dash, I won't hear an advantage from the 3-way setup. I've also considered doing 6.5 components up front, as it's just about the same price as the 6x9s plus 3.5s.

I've heard the kappas sound kind of like Alpine's, with good overall sound and excellent low-end, and that the Reference line has better mid and high range production, but very little low end. Since I have the factory sub, and I don't need a lot of bass, I'm now considering going with the Reference series.
You've heard correct - the Kappas are like Alpines while the Reference are much cleaner on the high and mid-range. I only recommend the Reference if you have a sub, otherwise, you won't be happy. But if you have a sub, I think the Reference speakers are the better option. I have re-ripped all my CDs into 192kbs VBR MP3s because I now hear all kinds of stuff I didn't before.

If you go with the Reference, one thing I now don't recommend if you have replaced the 3.5s in the dash is enabling the tweeter switch boost on the 6x9s that adds 3db of sound to the high end. If you do that, you end up with ear fatigue at higher volumes.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
That would actually be a great color option for the 2011 FJC, particularly for us Longhorn fans....
That would make sense, seeing as how you own the A&M colored FJ :worried:

haha.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
You've heard correct - the Kappas are like Alpines while the Reference are much cleaner on the high and mid-range. I only recommend the Reference if you have a sub, otherwise, you won't be happy. But if you have a sub, I think the Reference speakers are the better option. I have re-ripped all my CDs into 192kbs VBR MP3s because I now hear all kinds of stuff I didn't before.

If you go with the Reference, one thing I now don't recommend if you have replaced the 3.5s in the dash is enabling the tweeter switch boost on the 6x9s that adds 3db of sound to the high end. If you do that, you end up with ear fatigue at higher volumes.
I think it was actually you who told me in another thread about the Kappa vs. Reference, thanks :cheers: Do you have the OEM sub or an aftermarket sub?

1 - 20 of 124 Posts