Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had to cut out the frame/plastic molding on the inside of the door panel to get the door panel to fit back on the door without having the speaker in the way......other than that great write up!

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thank you for this post! It was super helpful.
Today I replaced the stock speakers on my 2013 TT (no JBL upgrade) with Hertz Hi Energy HCX 690 6x9's coaxial in the doors, and JL C2-350 3.5" coaxial in the dash, and I have rear grilles coming from toyota. I just have to decide on JL's 3.5 in the rear or Hertz 4" if they'll fit.

Does anyone know if Hertz 4" coaxial's will fit in the rear pillar?

I also had to trim the speaker ring in the door panel to get these to fit.

Rock on!:rocker:

·
Registered
97 Posts
just picked up some kickers from Frys for $49 put them in here thanks to this post, I am having difficulty fully snapping the doors back on , the last part that wont go on both doors is the inner corners, the part that is to be removed first, any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
just picked up some kickers from Frys for $49 put them in here thanks to this post, I am having difficulty fully snapping the doors back on , the last part that wont go on both doors is the inner corners, the part that is to be removed first, any suggestions?
Take a very sharp knife and trim the plastic ring on the door panel side.
If you shave it down 1/4 to 1/2 inch it should give you enough clearance for the connecters to reach the metal and pop back in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just used this method today to mount some Polk 6x9s, worked great. I trimmed the ring on the inside of the door panel preemptively, not sure if it would have fit or not.

Thanks for the good write-up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did this mod yesterday. Thanks to this thread, it was easy. I used the same speakers ( $56 a pair on amazon ), and I can't believe the improvement in sound.

Thanks guys!
D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Installed the new Infinity Reference 6x9 speakers that my fiance bought me for my birthday today. What a difference! Didn't realize how much the stock speakers sucked until today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a eclipse avn726e head unit and the headliner speaker and door speakers are all stock, Im thinking about changing out the door speaker with a 6x9 as stated in this thread. Im not sure which speakers to get and why. Can someone please help me out? Im looking for the infinity speakers but I really have no preference. Any help would be appreciated. Also do all FJ's come with a dash speaker? Ive never noticed it, Maybe my headunit installer connected the door speakers with the dash speakers cause I dont hear them when I fade the sound to the front(door) or back(headliner). I have a 2007 FJ that matters.

Thanks, Victor

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
the infinity are fine any good brand will sound good might look at , JL Audio, Pioneer, Kenwood and Polk are all great brands, sound deading in the doors helps lots too

·
Registered
27 Posts
either the kappa or references will do fine correct? Im just looking for an upgrade from stock not really a top of the line system

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
either the kappa or references will do fine correct? Im just looking for an upgrade from stock not really a top of the line system
Are you changing the head unit and/or adding an amp? Honestly IMO it's not worth replacing just the speakers and using the factory HU and no amp. The factory speakers may be paper thin with small magnets, but they're designed to work well in conjunction with the factory HU. Aftermarket speakers hooked directly the the factory HU will often sound worse than the stock speakers. If you don't have money to do speakers and HU right now I'd do the HU first, as the factory speakers will sound better with an aftermarket HU.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also i dont know much about ohms and all that, As long as i have an aftermarket headunit i should be okay with any speakers right?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Are you changing the head unit and/or adding an amp? Honestly IMO it's not worth replacing just the speakers and using the factory HU and no amp. The factory speakers may be paper thin with small magnets, but they're designed to work well in conjunction with the factory HU. Aftermarket speakers hooked directly the the factory HU will often sound worse than the stock speakers. If you don't have money to do speakers and HU right now I'd do the HU first, as the factory speakers will sound better with an aftermarket HU.
this is correct ^^^ 4 or 2 ohm will work most are 4 ohm anyway

·
Registered
27 Posts
I currently have an eclipes avn726e, Not sure which speakers will be safe for the car. Looking for a 6x9 and 3.5 for the dash. Which infinity's will work?

61 - 80 of 124 Posts