Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I currently have an eclipes avn726e, Not sure which speakers will be safe for the car. Looking for a 6x9 and 3.5 for the dash. Which infinity's will work?
Any should be fine. I currently run Inifnity Reference 6x9s in the doors and 3.5s in the dash and rear pillars hooked up to a Pioneer HU with no amp and all is good. I've read the Reference are better than the Kappa if hooked directly to a HU, as the Kappas really need the extra power from an amp to sound good. The Reference will also sound better with an amp, but work better directly off the HU than the Kappas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any should be fine. I currently run Inifnity Reference 6x9s in the doors and 3.5s in the dash and rear pillars hooked up to a Pioneer HU with no amp and all is good. I've read the Reference are better than the Kappa if hooked directly to a HU, as the Kappas really need the extra power from an amp to sound good. The Reference will also sound better with an amp, but work better directly off the HU than the Kappas.
Im looking for a plug and play option, I know the 6x9 ill need to get a toyota harness for the doors, But im not sure about the 3.5. Can you give me some insight if i need to buy a harness for the dash as well?

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Im looking for a plug and play option, I know the 6x9 ill need to get a toyota harness for the doors, But im not sure about the 3.5. Can you give me some insight if i need to buy a harness for the dash as well?
You won't need harness, you just have to cut and solder the wires. This goes for all speakers in the FJ...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You won't need harness, you just have to cut and solder the wires. This goes for all speakers in the FJ...
Yep. I know harnesses are offered that allow you to plug-in to the factory Toyota plug, then solder the wires to the speakers without having to cut off the factory harness. I just cut the factory harness off and added a short amount of wire and hooked them up to the speakers. Really no reason to try and keep the factory harness unless you plan to one day reinstall the factory speakers. Even then you can just reattach the factory harness and plug the speakers back in.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Isnt 2 ohms not preferred for factory head unit?
The factory speakers are 2 Ohm and those links are for Infinity 2 Ohms too - don't get too many 2 Ohm options so those are a good find.

Some folks are running "normal" 4 Ohm speakers on the stock HU with no issues - that I am aware of.

I replaced my HU, ran new speaker wire and put in 4 Ohm speakers (6x9 Alpines and 3.5" Polks). Running wire in the FJ is a breeze - all the space in the world in the dash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned or if audiophiles would frown upon this, but I preserved the speaker wires glued to the original speakers and was able to solder them directly onto the infinity reference speakers. They BARELY reached, but they worked fine. I just wrapped them in electrical tape first. This way I didn't need the adapters. I didn't have any spare wire on me and didn't feel like buying anything if I could get away with what was there.

PS: great write-up!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those are exactly what I used and the fitment was great. I enlarged that little square hole in the top flange so the new metra wire connector would sit down into it and reach the speaker posts better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Easier than fitting into old speaker housing

This was a great tutorial. However I spent a few hours trying to get my new Kenwoods to fit into the old housing.. I also didn't like the idea of cutting the door plastic away to make them fit. So this may save you a little time for a minimal price to get the exact speaker adapters for the FJ cruiser. This worked perfectly (for the front doors).

Photo of Toyota speaker adapter: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The adapter on amazon: Amazon.com: Metra 82-8146 6" x 9" Front Speaker Adapter for Select Lexus and Toyota Vehicles: Car Electronics

The wiring harness that works with FJ Cruiser: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BBP7Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

(Even though amazon says this does not fit FJ cruiser, it does)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Dude, I think we all wish we were your neighbor :wink
Haha thanks for saying that. The grass always looks greener.....

So, I know I said compared to an awesome aftermarket system the stock one is horrible. That sounds a bit harsh. This stock system with the OEM woofer sounds light years better than most of the stock systems I've ever owned.

That being said, I wonder if I just changed out the existing speakers and kept this woofer if I'd be happy????

Stupid question, is there an external amp somewhere or is it inside the woofer itself???

Thanks.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts