Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
First of all, Thank you for taking the time to create this write-up. The only thing not covered was the need to trim the molded in "surround" plastic from the door panel.

I did this speaker replacement using the Infinity speakers shown and the only difference I have noticed is that three hours of my life were used for no apparent benefit. The Infinity speakers show no noticeable improvement over the stock speakers. I have a 2012 FJ with the subwoofer option. This seems to provide an improved stereo unit and probably upgraded speakers all around. Maybe this is why I don't hear any improvement. Because the OEM door speakers really are pretty good. My speakers were made in a similar fashion as the ones you showed, but the plastic support structure was much more substantial and the speaker cone was plastic.

Anyway, for those of you who may read this and have the optional subwoofer package in your 2012 FJ, this modification may provide less than outstanding improvements. I wouldn't say don't try it, but in my case, I would have been better off to have left well enough alone.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
First of all, Thank you for taking the time to create this write-up. The only thing not covered was the need to trim the molded in "surround" plastic from the door panel.

I did this speaker replacement using the Infinity speakers shown and the only difference I have noticed is that three hours of my life were used for no apparent benefit. The Infinity speakers show no noticeable improvement over the stock speakers. I have a 2012 FJ with the subwoofer option. This seems to provide an improved stereo unit and probably upgraded speakers all around. Maybe this is why I don't hear any improvement. Because the OEM door speakers really are pretty good. My speakers were made in a similar fashion as the ones you showed, but the plastic support structure was much more substantial and the speaker cone was plastic.

Anyway, for those of you who may read this and have the optional subwoofer package in your 2012 FJ, this modification may provide less than outstanding improvements. I wouldn't say don't try it, but in my case, I would have been better off to have left well enough alone.
Interesting observations. Did you replace any other speakers, or just the door 6x9 speakers? Since the 2012 have the JBL system I can see not gaining a lot from just a speaker replacement.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

the problem is the factory head-unit doesn't have the balls to run aftermarket speakers due to the poor output of the factory head-unit ...the factory speakers are 8 ohm and what you replaced them with are 4 ohm so its a poor match..replace the factory head-unit with aftermarket and you will notice a difference using aftermarket speakers otherwise leave it stock

·
Registered
390 Posts
...the factory speakers are 8 ohm and what you replaced them with are 4 ohm so its a poor match..replace the factory head-unit with aftermarket and you will notice a difference using aftermarket speakers otherwise leave it stock.
The normal 6x9 speakers are 4ohm, the JBL 6x9 speakers are 1.8ohm. It is the dash speakers and D-pillar speakers that are 8ohm in the normal system and 1.9 ohm for the JBL versions. I've attached Toyota's drawing for the speaker impedances.

Attachments

Reactions: algonaman

·
Registered
118 Posts
the problem is the factory head-unit doesn't have the balls to run aftermarket speakers due to the poor output of the factory head-unit ...the factory speakers are 8 ohm and what you replaced them with are 4 ohm so its a poor match..replace the factory head-unit with aftermarket and you will notice a difference using aftermarket speakers otherwise leave it stock
This is something that would have been very helpful to know Y E S T E R D A Y !

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
thanks FJ6MT on that info ... Ok so the 6x9s aren't 8 ohm but you still have the problem of the factory headunit not being able to power the aftermarket speakers correctly ,(that's why the stock speakers are paper thin so the stock headunit can run them) that is why matching up audio gear is so important , a good aftermarket headunit is 200.00 or so being you probably can't return the speakers after installing them

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Funny! I bought my 2012 FJ about a week ago, and the speakers vibrated in the doors. I removed the panels saw the speakers were not the originals. Rolled up a towel and stuck it in the door behind the speaker. It sounded much better. I decided to search FJ door speaker. A picture came up with the same speaker (Infinity) when I clicked on the picture this thread came up. I have the same exact Mod. Now I need to fix the still existing vibration. Good write up anyway.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sound deadening and a aftermarket headunit should do you via the factory headunit gives you an awful signal to the speakers and while you're at it replace the front speakers with tweeters

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Nice Job, but couldn't one just form (4) C-shaped brackets to mount directly to the door panel with one leg and the speaker with the other leg?

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Funny! I bought my 2012 FJ about a week ago, and the speakers vibrated in the doors. I removed the panels saw the speakers were not the originals. Rolled up a towel and stuck it in the door behind the speaker. It sounded much better. I decided to search FJ door speaker. A picture came up with the same speaker (Infinity) when I clicked on the picture this thread came up. I have the same exact Mod. Now I need to fix the still existing vibration. Good write up anyway.
That's awesome - thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Just replaced my stock door speakers and added some sound deadening. I cut the stock speaker housing and used it to mount the new speakers (much like the OP). Huge improvement.
Now do tweeters in the dash and a aftermarket headunit

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
Look these over double din

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/double_din_headunit.html

Single din

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/single_din_headunits.html?&pg=1

Pick the features you want and price and stick with the known brands like Pioneer , Kenwood , Alpine is great but going to run more money , 4 volt preouts are important too ... link me back your choices and I can look them over for pros and cons
Wants: double din touchscreen, maintain steering wheel controls, be able to plug in my iPod nano and play music, use CDs. Don't need much else. What do you think about these two?

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=168550&compareItems=01|113DDX395&compareItems=01|130201EX

If the receiver has no aux input, does that mean I cannot plug in my iPod?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Yeah I like that Kenwood for the money and the scratch and dent is $225 which ends up being the box not brand new unit will be fine , yes will work with your iPod , you have an iPod Classic or? And it’s a 5 volts preouts with sub out which you can add to a system if wanted at a later date and has (((SiriusXM))) if you ever decide to get it .... I would use the Crutchfield chat to double check on the iPod but I’m almost positive it will work

101 - 120 of 124 Posts